Can't Enter Bank Details In On-line Order

Oriole

Registered
I've just had two successive instances where I was unable to complete an on-line order. I was able to complete every other field - name, address, etc - except those for my bank account details which exhibited no response when I tried repeatedly to enter the requisite digits. This was using both my Safari and Firefox browsers on my iMac, running OS X El Capitan version 10.11.6.

I had no problem though when I used Firefox on my Surface tablet.

Try reviewing what you are using for extensions in Safari.
Look in Safari Preferences, Extensions, to see if what you are using as add-ons has some conflict?
And, you can view the configuration page in Firefox, but that might be a little overwhelming if you have never viewed that before.
(Firefox on another platform may not have the same configuration for add-ons.)

Also, were both orders on the same web site?
Finally, did you try a restart, just to see if that made any difference?

Hello DeltaMac,

Thank you for your response.

My Safari/Preferences/Extensions pane lists just my Bitdefender Traffic Light antivirus utility which also protects my Firefox browser. Are you familiar with this? Is it likely to be the source of my problem?

I've tried to complete the bank details fields with Traffic Light turned on and turned off, but it makes no difference, nor does restarting my browsers.

In view of your comment and my lack of computer savvy, I've not looked at Firefox configuration page. I don't know whether you could give me an idea of what I should be looking for there (or elsewhere in Safari's workings).

With regard to my Bitdefender, its a fairly recent addition, having previously thought my Mac had no need of such additions. However, I have encountered this problem before, though only occasionally, and long before I had Bitdefender.

As for the two orders, they were to two different websites.

Finally, it occurred to me that it might have been my bank, possibly suffering a hacking attack like Tesco Bank has just reported, operating some sort of security measure to prevent the fraudulent use of my card. I checked with them, but they said no.

Cookies - There are some web sites that you must allow cookies.

Also - there are some web sites that will only work ‘well’ with Chrome - and there is a Mac version.

Question: Were you able to do on line purchasing previously? I wonder if something installed recently has made the difference.

Hello Cheryl,

I always allow cookies, seeing how its the only way to use the website in question.

And I'm encountering the same problem with Chrome for these two particular websites, which are www.joebrowns.co.uk and http://www.hearstmagazines.co.uk/gh...m_content=right-hand-cover&utm_campaign=solus.

And as I mentioned to DeltaMac, I have encountered the same problem occasionally before.

Finally, the odd thing is that the problem is confined to entering bank account numbers in what is usually a special secured part of most on-line order forms. It doesn't occur in any preceding fields on the order form.

It is strange that the sites show your name and address but not your credit card info. I wonder if these sites have the security where you are indeed typing in the information but it is not showing on the screen - for security purposes. Is your cursor moving as you type in the numbers?

YOu stated that you have restarted the browser, but have you restarted the computer?

Hello again Cheryl,

No, the cursor doesn't move at all; it just sits there, staring at me . . .

Yes, I've been restarting both the browsers and the computer, over the course of several days, with the same result.

Seems strange, but Cheryl has the same idea that I have.
Be sure to try entering information in those blocks that don't seem to accept anything. Your Terminal does the same "no-feedback" when you type in passwords. Maybe those sites work in a similar fashion, and it makes a difference when you are using different operating systems.
Type in the correct info, even though the cursor doesn't move, and you get no feedback at all as you type.
When you complete one block (even though nothing apparently is entered) tab for the next block (or click in next block to assure that the text cursor moves there)
When you have all information typed in the relevant blocks (despite the fact that you can't see anything as it is entered), see if the order page will allow you to move ahead.
It will either work, or will tell you that you don't have any information entered in those blocks (or a similar result). At least you will know that is not the issue.

other "random thoughts":
I think that the common thread right now may be that you are always logged in to the same user account
Try ordering from one of those web pages when you are logged in to a different user account. This would be a good time to create a new user account, just as a test for this issue. Log out of your present user, and log in to your newly-created user. Probably would be best if the new user was also an admin account, and not a standard account.

And though it may not seem like this is relevant - have you updated your plugins? Flash Player and Java especially.

In Safari Preferences> Advanced make sure Stop plug ins to save power is unchecked.

Hello Cheryl and DeltaMac,

I had a go, tongue in cheek, ordering something cheap on the assumption that the seller's website was surreptitiously noting my bank account details (you're committed once you press 'place order'), only to be relieved to be told, in red letters, how I need to enter something in the requisite fields.

I tried opening a new account, in my wife's name, different password but, having only one email address, was told "you already have an account".

I could get my daughter to try it in her name on her computer but, seeing how I had no problem with my existing account when I used my Surface tablet instead of my Mac, it seems clear to me that my problem is 'in-house'.

My plug-ins are up to date, but unchecking 'Stop plug-ins to save power' made no difference, even after restarting Safari just to make sure.

Doh!

This is the case of trying to resolve a problem without actually being in front of the problem computer.

Did you try creating a new user on your computer, then while logged in that new user order something?

Did you try creating a new user on your computer, then while logged in that new user order something?

Well, yes; as I said: "I tried opening a new account, in my wife's name, different password but, having only one email address, was told "you already have an account"; i.e., I couldn't complete the new user account creation, let alone order something under it.

As you say, it would be so much easier to solve this problem if you had remote access . . . or I was a bit more computer literate.

Well, yes; as I said: "I tried opening a new account, in my wife's name, different password but, having only one email address, was told "you already have an account"; i.e., I couldn't complete the new user account creation, let alone order something under it.

As you say, it would be so much easier to solve this problem if you had remote access . . . or I was a bit more computer literate.
Hmm...
Is that a different web site account that you tried?
That is absolutely not what both Cheryl and I asked you to try :D
Make a new user (for your computer, not for the web site :D ), which you can easily do in your System Preferences/Users & Groups pane.
Add a user - which should be an admin account, just for this test.
Log out (from your Apple menu), which will take you to your main login screen. Log in now to your newly created user.
Try your shopping to your internet site of your choosing now.
(You would still use your same account for shopping, but you would be using a different user account on your Mac.)
If there is no difference, and the site still won't accept your site user credentials, then quit your browser, then you can simply log out of your user, then log back in to your usual user

Doh! For my computer. How was I to know that Marge; that smarty-pants Ned Flanders . . .

Will you mind if I get back to you about this tomorrow?

Many thanks in the meantime.

Last edited:
I'm not too clear about your last post (it's a little short on words, I think :D )
I ascribe the term "déjà vu" to a feeling or a sensation, and not an actual event, but I guess you mean the same exact thing happened when you tried to enter credit card data?

Do you mean that you created a new user account, logged out, then logged back in to the new account?
Then, opened a convenient browser (or two), and checked to see that your chosen site will allow you to login to the account user on that site?
And, you still can't enter your credit info (and, by extension, you can enter everything else, such as shipping address, billing address, and any other form data, just no credit card info... (?) )

I think it would be cool to know if you also can't enter any bank information on any other shopping site?
Try Amazon, for example. You can enter information for an order, just cancel out before you send. You are just testing to see if you can enter your bank data on any other site.

Sorry DeltaMac; less can be more, but I must have overstepped the mark.

As for "deja vu" and feelings; well, events give rise to feelings, in this case the feeling I'd had when I last found the website failing to respond to my attempts to enter my bank details. And here I was again, having
created a new user account, logged out, then logged back in to the new account?
Then, opened a convenient browser (or two), and checked to see that your chosen site will allow you to login to the account user on that site?
I still couldn't
enter your credit info (and, by extension, you can enter everything else, such as shipping address, billing address, and any other form data, just no credit card info

As for other websites, I see I didn't make it too clear that the two problem websites I was referring to were exceptions to the rule; i.e., apart from the occasional occurrence in the past, I don't as a general rule encounter this problem elsewhere. That's what's so peculiar about these websites and it being only the bank account fields that are the problem.

Two different web browsers (try a third, different browser, such as Opera, or Roccat, just as a test)
Anyway, a single browser with that problem is often either a struggling cookies file, or your bank has not updated for a recent browser update.
With two browsers doing much the same thing, then I suspect that your bank has the answer, as it may be tied to the operating system (the security certificate that your bank uses may not be updated for that yet. It is not something that you have control over). Doesn't affect other operating systems, because, well, the bank has already updated to support those. There's a situation that your bank needs to know about.

So, you ask, why just those two web sites? The bank depends on each site to accept the security certificates that the banks would use. They often need updating. So, those two sites need updates (by the bank), and the bank should be able to fix that up for you.

Hello again DeltaMac,

Three browsers tried in fact; Safari, Firefox and Chrome. I wonder what Lady Bracknell would have said about that.

This thing about security certificates has to be the answer. As I mentioned in my 2nd post, I did take this up with my bank - though not about security certificates per se - who got back to say there was nothing going on at my account; which of course, there wasn't.

I will get back to them right now with your comment.

Wait !

It isn’t the bank who is at fault. It is with the web site and their credit card merchant/service provider. Check the full url when you are at the check out of one of those web sites. Does it say https: or http: ?

When you type in the type of payment and the credit card number, it is the merchant who then takes that information securely and then goes to your bank for payment. There would be something wrong with your account when the purchase is denied. At this time, you can’t purchase anything....so it is the merchant’s web site that has a security certificate problem.

Back