cant get on the net in OSX,cross connection?!?!?

chelsea98

Registered
hi there,

i was recently running 10.2 on a partition,os9 on a nother,i dowloaded the 10.2.4 update via software update,and it all went t*ts up.norton discovered bad blocks,and couldnt do anything about it, neither could DW or Tech tool.so i wiped it all completely,eventually after many attempts got to zero all data(but couldnt low level format as tech tool suggested as the option was greyed out in classic).anyway,i finally got it all together again,put jaguar on a different partition from what i believe to be the problem one.

anyway,previously it had been no problem getting online with my alcatel speedtouch modem,with the latest drivers.however,after trying with three versions of the drivers,up to the latest one(R20?) i still cannot connect.i get a

"you have a cross connection"

ive checked all the settings,i have the alcatel modem selected in network,connect via ppp etc,but still no joy.i found an apple doc here

but it only relates to 56k and v90 modems.

your help would be appreciated.
chelsea98

I looked a little bit at this and it appears that your modem is a DSL modem, correct? With the DSL modem you shouldn't have to install any special drivers for it if you are connecting it via ethernet. Some modems you can connect via USB, but most will be via ethernet. All you should have to do is go into the System Prefs, go to Network, and where it says Show: select the built in ethernet. Make sure all of your settings are correct in there for your ISP and see what happens.

As far as I know you can only get the error that you are describing if you are attempting to dial out to connect to the internet, which is not necessary with DSL. If you're ISP is using some kind of PPPoE or Redback software you might have to put in your username and password in order to connect, but you can do this from the PPPoE tab after you select Show: Built in Ethernet.

-Juxel

the modem is USB,not ethernet.still not getting online with it.i uninstalled all of the drivers and went with just the latest release from thompson,vers R2011,but when i try it with that it says i cant install it until ive installed the drivers from my ISP :confused:

also,i just found a 14meg driver download via dslsource which is much bigger than the 4.5meg thompson driver download(and the others),and apparently works with 10.2.is there a way to uninstall internet connect and network and reinstall? or how to trash the preference files for these??

TIA

You should only need to install drivers for the modem as it is USB. You don't need to install any PPPoE software because the OS can handle that part.

Your error sounds like you might have a problem with the cables to the modem. If you have the modem connected through a USB hub, try plugging it directly into one of your Mac's USB ports.

Once you get all the drivers installed, you will need to put your user ID and password in the System Preferences > Network settings.

I've never installed a USB modem, so I don't know how it would show up in the network settings.

But you say you have had it working so you must have done that before.

according to Alcatel FAQs, the Speedtouch Home DSL modem has optional full time connection, or a PPP dial up, even though it is DSL. Have you tried reinstalling the Alcatel software, or contacting Alcatel for support? It's probably something very simple.

got it sorted.

strangely,it worked by just uninstalling the drivers then installing some drivers i got from www.dslsource.co.uk .its strange because i didnt do anything in the set up differently,but im not arguing

i had spoken to my isp,they didnt have a clue and asked me to phone back with the solution :D

Back