Can't get Passed "You need to restart your computer" OSX *HELP*

Akuma

Registered
I have a 2008 iMac 4gb ram. I ran into this issue but tried many solutions.

My problem is the infamous "You need to restart your computer" screen. However mine also has these blue vertical streaks that go across the screen. I was first told it was the RAM. So I followed Apples guidelines on the proper RAM that needs to be installed. I installed fresh new RAM and still am left with the same problem.

I can't boot into safe mode by holding shift because my primary startup partition is Windows. So it auto boots windows. Here are some pictures of what I'm talking about.

Please help T.TView attachment 8347View attachment 8348View attachment 8349

The "Restart" screen is a normal indication that something is wrong, either in software, or more often, in hardware.
It's a result of a variety of different causes, and not really something that one could refer to as "infamous", but simply a screen that most folks would prefer not to see - ever...
Nevertheless - it's very often caused by hardware problems.

Can you boot to your original OS X installer DVD? That will have Apple's hardware test. You can boot to that test by inserting the DVD, and restarting while holding Command-D.
Run both the standard, and the extended tests.
Come back with any error codes that are reported, and someone here can interpret that code.

Another possibility, if you need to boot to safe mode.
Here's how you can do that (even if your Mac is set to automatically boot to Windows):
Shut down the Mac.
Press and release the power button, and immediately hold the Option button. If your keyboard is NOT an Apple keyboard, but has a Windows key, hold the Alt key.
You'll get your Mac's boot picker screen, where you can choose your OS X partition.
Press enter after selecting your OS X partition, and immediately hold your shift key, until you see the grey apple with the rotating gear underneath. A newer version of OS X may simply go to a progress bar under the grey Apple. Either way, you can release the shift key at thatm time. Log in to your account, and that should take you to the Finder, where you will get the normal desktop.

Back