Can't get rid of "webloc" extension!

Syncopator

Registered
Hey, folks,

This is new behavior (circa OS X 10.3):

I often drag URLs from Safari's Address Bar to the desktop to create clickable webloc files. And in the past, they were named automaticall -- with the ".webloc" extension *hidden*.

But now -- even though I have "Show All Finder extensions" UNchecked in the Finder's preferences -- those files always have the annoying ".webloc" extension *visible*!

I guess my thread title is somewhat misleading; I can, in fact, hide the extension by selecting Get Info and manually checking the "Hide extension" box -- but that's a PITA to have to do, every time I create one of these files!!! Why can't it just work the way it used to -- with the extension hidden by default?

Is this a new "feature" in the OS, or a bug, or what?

Strange... I hide all extensions by uncheking the same thing you do, and my webloc files show up with the extension, as well. I don't ever remember them not having an extension, to tell the truth.

Many other files also show their extension, like some PNG files that I have on my desktop, as well as any archives I've created (the .zip ones that the Finder creates). I don't think unchecking that box in the Finder preferences hides all extensions -- it's meant to unhide all extensions, but some extensions just show by default.

Thanks for the reply. I definitely remember webloc extensions being hidden in the past, because I created them all the time. Then the behavior changed -- some time ago -- and I finally got the notion to inquire about it here.

I can't think of one good reason these files (or any others) should be excepted from the user's setting in the Finder preferences; we either want them to show, or not show. Why should *some* show, if we've chosen for them to be hidden? It makes no sense.

Well, the way I see it, we haven't chosen to hide all the extensions -- we just haven't chosen to show them all.

...although this does have me thinking about why these extensions are showing...

This is definately new behavior. I also drag out addresses to my desktop all the time.

They never used to appear with the extension, now they do.

I don't know what OS or update made it happen, though.

It's not a big deal but it bugs me too.

Back