Cant get the net through my airport express

aussiehoudini

Registered
Hiya,
I posted a question and got a response but it didn\'t fix the problem so I posted a reply but I\'m not sure whether I did it the right way because I didn\'t get another response.
Basically the trouble is my Airport Express stopped working. I can stream music through it and print through it but can\'t acess the internet. I am now sure (due to the other helpful reply) that it is something to do with IP addresses. I don\'t know why it just up and stopped working as everything was going great but there you have it.

I have already tried both a soft and hard reset and now I tried the 30 second unplug as suggested. This didn\'t fix it though.

Someting wacky is happening I\'m sure.

When I look at my network summary in prefs this is what I get:

The en1 adapter is my usb link to the net.

ethernet adapter (en1) is using PPPoE to connect with an address 220.245.255.22 subnet mask router 202.7.162.90

Note: Built in ethernet has a self assigned ip address and may not be able to connect to the internet.

The airport after restart appeared to get an address of 169.254.100.199. When I used the admin utility to try to manually enter a new ip address it said I have entered an incorrect one (i entered 220.245.255.23 and 202.7.162.91.

Am I completely missing something here?

Thanks

Damian

Yes, you're not understanding IP addressing correctly.

You need to setup an IP addressing scheme on your "inside" network (the one containing the en0 interface of your Mac and the airport).

Before I can give advice, I'd need to be sure I understand your network completely. Can you post a link to a drawing that shows all machines, network connections, IP addresses (including subnet masks and default gateway/router addresses)?

Wade

FYI 169.254.*.* addresses usually mean "I tried to get an IP address from DHCP but it failed".

If you're trying to connect an AirPort Express, why not plug your modem into the AirPort instead of into your computer? Is the modem USB-only? (most modems I've seen are USB + Ethernet, 'swhy I'm asking).

Back