can't import Mail messages into Entourage

NJDevil

Registered
I searched archives for a similar question, found one or two but no answer that helps me. I exported all my email accounts in Mail, as text files AND as raw message source files. Now I want to use Entourage and import the messages, but Entourage does not recognize these files. WHY?? they are all grayed out.

Have you tried this?

1) Select "Import" from the "File" menu in Entourage.
2) Select "Information from another application" and click the "next" arrow
3) Select "Apple Mail" and click the "next" arrow
4) Select the options you wish to import, click the "next" arrow

yeah I tried that for every account I created, not working. When I try to import the raw msg files they are grayed out; when I try to import the text files I get an error. Are exported files from Mail not compatible with Entourage?

The procedure I outlined doesn't involve trying to import exported messages from Mail -- it works by reading the existing Mail database and importing accounts and messages. The export procedure you performed with Mail earlier is useless in the procedure I outlined above.

What exactly do you mean by "not working?" If you perform the procedure I outlined, what error messages do you get, verbatim? Please describe exactly what you see and any and all messages you receive when you perform the above procedure.

I understand what you're saying. The problem is the Mail app I used was on a different computer. So that's why I exported my messages (in 7 different accounts) and simply wanted to import them into the Ent program on this new Mac. I don't understand why Entourage doesn't recognize the raw msg source files. When I tell it to import text messages, which were saved as rtf, it tells me they are not text messages.

according to entourage help page -
"You can import e-mail messages, contacts, and events into Entourage from other Mac applications such as Apple Mail and previous versions of Entourage."
so I assumed I could import email messages that had been exported.

Right -- but those RTF exported email messages are no longer email messages... they're simply text in an RTF document. There is no "universal" RTF exported email structure -- that is to say that an exported RTF from one email application may be formatted completely different than an RTF exported from another email application.

Entourage wants access to the original database that Mail keeps. Exported messages do not conform to this.

If you have access to the original machine, you could install Entourage, perform the standard Entourage import using the method I mentioned above, then move the Microsoft User database to the new machine and have the new machine's Entourage import from that database.

I don't think you're ever going to be able to get Entourage to import those exported RTF files. Exporting as RTF is designed for archiving messages in a human-readable format -- they're not designed for moving data between applications. Entourage wants the original Mail database -- not RTF files.

I guess I can't move the original database file from Mail... will have to do it as you said. What about MBOX files - that is not the same as raw msg source files? Mail cannot export as mbox?

Mail doesn't need to export as .mbox files, because the database is already stored in various .mbox files.

They're located in various subfolders in the ~/Library/Mail folder.

I moved the Mail MBOX files over to this computer, and when I try to import, they are STILL grayed out. I don't get it!!! Last resort is installing entourage on the other mac, I guess that will work.

Back