Can't install anything!!??

dbyrne

Registered
Recently for no apparent reason my G4 running 10.3.3 has stopped allowing me to install. Several applications i have tried to install bring up the first install window normally introduction, click Continue to read me and then that's it, I can't click continue again. And infact i need to force quit installer to continue. I immediatley jumped the gun and thought i'd need to re-install the system. I put the CD in restarted and the SAME happened starting up from the install CD! I downlaoded some software (10.3.5) using software update and it reported back to me once it started to install it that it cannot install the selected updates on this system. Help please!

D

Attachments

• install_window.pdf
    71.3 KB · Views: 7
Welcome to the Forum.

First, open Disk Utility in your Utility folder and run Repair Permissions and see if that helps.
Next, boot from the OS CD, after the installer window appears, go to the Installer menu at the top of screen to Disk Utility and run Repair Disk.

good... Thanks. This is where the problem lies.. can't believe i didn't think of it. Funny thing though Disk utility won't launch either from startup disk or CD - its telling me a background process can't run?

What did you do? Your computer seems screwed :D

Well, start up your computer in single user mode (holding down [Apple-S]) when the UNIX process stops type fsck -fy and let the computer to its thing. after the process, if your computer says the HD was modified than run it until it says that the disk is ok.

OR

get a copy of Disk Warrior

IF NOT

reformat your HD and write zeros to disk (I have done it before, but its been a while, so I'm not quite shore how to do it. Maybe someone on this site can tell you exactly how to perform this task)

NOT WORKING?

Run Apple's hardware test (the CD should have came with your computer) and make shore that the mass memory is not broken. If it is that means you have a bad port on your HD, thus meaning you have a bad HD

Good luck and let us know what happens :)

dbyrne said:
good... Thanks. This is where the problem lies.. can't believe i didn't think of it. Funny thing though Disk utility won't launch either from startup disk or CD - its telling me a background process can't run?

This won't help you, but I was having that message with my external drive. The only thing that fixed the message for me was to reformat the drive in Windows!

Before you go all for re-install try to do these steps:

1) Open "System Preferences"
2) Click on "Accounts"
3) Click on your User Name
4) Change your password (assuming you are Admin)
5) Restart

Then try to install something. I say this because something like this happened on my TiBook. I pulled my hair out, repair permissions, threw out several system preference files and Archived & Installed. Then a real knowledgeable network friend suggest these steps.

Lastly, after the restart you can change your password back to the original, restart, and you will have your old password back.
Please let us know if this works for you or not. Good luck.

Back