Can't Install Os 10.4

golato

Registered
I have a macbook 2006 , i want to install OS 10.4 tiger on it, the problem is that the drive does not show up where it asks you where do you want to install Mac OS X, it Shows on Disk Utility but not on OS installation.
please help me

WHY?

It will depend on which, exactly, "2006" Macbook, but a review of most Mackbooks and Mackbook Pros via MacTracker give Mac OS X 10.6.8, or 10.7 [Snow Leopard and Lion respectively.--Ed.] as the OS that came with the computer.

10.4 is "pretty f[CENSORED--Ed.]king far from 'okay'!" to quote Marcellus Wallace for a machine designed to take Snow Leopard. Lion was an MS-Level FAIL, but the good news is you can ignore it. I would recommend loading Snow Leopard instead.

But, FAST! You have not told us why you want to load an OS over a decade old! Most programs these days will not run on it. Period. To my recollection, Tiger was "okay," but Snow Leopard was one of the best and more stable.

There are ways to "force it"--I did that with this current machine that "came with" Lion that the Acne-Ravaged Apple Seller Puke claimed was impossible to down grade. I made it a Snow Leopard, and waited until Apple figured out what a disaster Lion was.

Unless you have a very good reason to do it, beyond "Hey, Guys? I got this random Tiger installation disk!" it is probably not worth the bother.

--J.D.

Actually, the first MacBooks and MacBook Pros shipped with 10.4.6 ----So if you are looking to install Tiger to the condition it was, you need the Tiger installer of 10.4.6 (or later). You can not install 10.4.0 on a machine that originally had 10.4.6 installed. There is no trick in tricking the machine to accept it.

But as the good Doc states, the maximum OS version you can install is 10.6, which is recommended.

I have a macbook 2006 , i want to install OS 10.4 tiger on it, the problem is that the drive does not show up where it asks you where do you want to install Mac OS X, it Shows on Disk Utility but not on OS installation.
please help me
The OTHER problem that you will experience when trying to install Tiger on an old MacBook:
2006 models certainly shipped with Tiger (yes, all Intel Macs came with Tiger for nearly two years, until Leopard was released in fall 2007) - but the ONLY installer that works for Tiger on the Intel Macs is the original, grey restore DVD that shipped with THAT Mac. Apple never sold a black-label installer (commercial DVD) that would install Tiger on an Intel Mac.
So, the only DVD that you can use to restore Tiger on one of those old MacBooks, is an original grey DVD (or a copy of that same grey DVD that came with that Mac model.)
Might be interesting to have a MacBook with the system as it shipped new from Apple (not too useful, as Doctor X pointed out ;)
If you don't have the correct DVD, you can't do it.

(if there is no "historical" or collector need -- Leopard, or better yet, Snow Leopard is a much better choice :D )

Last edited:
Back