Can't Install Virtual PC

Jersey Jim

Registered
Just bought a new PowerBook G4 and purchased MS Office Professional with Virtual PC 7. Tried to install it. Everything seems to start out okay but I don't get very far. Seems straightforward enough. But I get to the screen where you can select EASY INSTALL or CUSTOM. Clicking EASY INSTALL as recommended, I get a message that says "THERE IS NOTHING TO INSTALL". Selecting CUSTOM doesn't help. I can't get any further. Been to MS website. Can't find any option for assistanace that doesn't cost $35. Seems ridiculous to have to pay for help with something that won't even install.
Thought I would try the forum to see if a. Anyone has had this problem and can help me? or b. Can anyone tell me if it's possible to get help from MS regarding the installation without having to pay them for it. While I understand that companies have to charge for tech support... The meter shouldn't start before you can get it installed.
By the way, the PB is new and is running Tiger with all available updates.

This may be a bit too simple, but do you have a Windows Install CD in, or Linux if your going an alternative route? The reason it may be saying there is nothing to install is because you havnt inserted a OS disk for it to install?

Wish it were that simple. Installation CD is in. Instructions say to install Virtual PC first and then re-boot the computer and install Windows. Can't get through VPC install. Everything looks to be normal until you click EASY INSTALL and then it stops. A 2nd CD is included in the package. This one says that it contains additional Windows system files.

Download and attempt to install this file - http://www.microsoft.com/mac/downlo...pc7_0_2.xml&secid=100&ssid=3&flgnosysreq=True
Maybe VPC has nothing to install because it is already installed (along with the rest of the Office 2004 installs)?
Try running the Virtual PC Uninstaller, restart your PowerBook, and try installing again, and you will need to install that 7.0.2 update for VPC to work in Tiger.
As Virtual PC seems to have some issues with OS X 10.4, perhaps the 10.4.3 update has broken the software again...
You may need to pay for a call (where Microsoft may tell you that you have to downgrade from the 10.4.3 update - but I don't know, I haven't tried that install from 10.4.3 yet.)

... Microsoft never lets you forget who you have to deal with..... :(

The Virtual PC installer has no issue with MacOS X 10.4 that I am aware of. I installed it on my new PM G5 with nary a problem. The VPC 7.0.2 update fixes a non-fatal incompatibility between the Virtual Switch feature and MacOS X 10.4. The error message is more of a problem than the incompatibility for 99.9 % of VPC users. It has no bearing at all on the ability to install VPC.

Thank you DeltaMac. You were right on the money. Don't know why Virtual PC would have been on here. Wasn't listed in the Application list. But I went ahead and tried the Uninstall utilty and there it was. Ran the Install again and it went right in. Downloaded and installed the update. Everything looks good to go thus far.

Back