Can't log into User (Home) account.

Bill Davies

Registered
Hello.. Nubie here.
I've looked all throughout the forum for an answer but haven't found a solution (or problem) quite like I'm having. The former owner of my new-to-me intel iMac created me (Bill Davies) an account as a User and I'm an Administrator. When I open Sys Prefs there's my Name and there is another Account (Guest Account - Disabled).

Trouble is that when I'm logged in as "Bill Davies" you open Macintosh HD> Users> you see the Home icon beside "apple" and not beside "billdavies". Underneath Home (apple) you find billdavies, Guest, and Shared (those ARE with Caps). I also tried adding another User just now to see if that changed anything (testuser) and it didn't.

Here's the rub: When I'm logged in as Bill Davies everything I drop or save to the Desktop does NOT go to billdavies Desktop it goes to apple's desktop. When I imported my mail from my G5 it went into apple> Library> Mail. When I open Terminal (I don't know Unix!) it says: "Last login: Sun Feb 26 13:56:01 on ttys000" "unknown001fb5bbc25b:~ apple$".

It appears that the Name Apple was given to the computer when the System was first installed (I don't have back up for Snow Leopard but do have the retail 10.5.4) Keeping "apple" is okay if I can't use my name... it's just that something is screwy and I don't know how to fix it.

And not even sure I've described it well enough. But I've read where it isn't a good idea to go in as root (assuming I could figure that out!) and change names. Sorry for the lengthy note.

Is there anyone here who might be able to help me?
Cheers, Bill.

iMac 3.06 GHz - OS X 10.6.8

this sounds like a issue with the UNIX part of OS X you are rite the computers name on the network IS apple you can boot into the Leopard Install DVD in which you can change and delete user accounts that way what i do to fix this on Linux or windows is make a new user accound delete the old one and recreate the old one OS X is not my area of experise but i do know lots of Linux and Windows and Mac OS X however never having this problem on OS X i can only offer tips hope it helps

If you have a backup or your info on the G5, the easiest thing to do is to reformat the new iMac and then reinstall the OS and not create a user. Then boot the iMac G5 into target disk mode. Connect the two iMacs with firewire (more tan likely need a 400-800 cable or an adapter). Then when running set up assistant on the new iMac, choose to transfer your information from another Mac and it will launch migration assistant for you. Then follow the prompts.

Thanks, leo and djack...
Surely there must be a way to get System Accounts to see "apple" when opening System Preferences> System: Accounts.

Might there be a way by using Terminal?

If so could someone walk me through the commands?

Computer is running Snow Leopard 10.6.8 (don't have that DVD) and don't want to revert to older OS and reformate if at all possible!.... but I DO have Leopard DVD (10.5.4) if that becomes necessary (AND if I can go backwards).

Thanks again, Bill

Thanks satcomer, I did read the document. But I don't believe changing the name of the Home folder will solve the problem… because it (Home/apple) does not show up in Sys Prefs> Accounts as a User.
QUESTION: It should, shouldn't it?

Before I go messing around in root I'd like to understand why 'apple' (Home folder) is not showing up as a User under Sys Prefs> Accounts.

It seems as though I'm logged in as both Home AND Bill Davies. The Desktop that billdavies sees is not the one in his folder (even though logged in as BD) but apple's. Whatever billdavies (logged in User) drops on the Desktop it lands in apple's Desktop.
QUESTION: Can I be (or am I) logged into TWO accounts at once?

Cheers ..... bill

home is not a user account far as i know. Home is the main folder that all you app preferences and documents are saved at this is the UNIX version of My Documents it most likley says apple in the terminal because that is the name of the computer on the network to change that you goto System Preferences-->Sharing here you can change the name for example Bill's iMac if apple is in the name replace it with iMac or whatever you want not sue if this will solve your problem but it wont hurt anything to try :)

Before I go messing around in root I'd like to understand why 'apple' (Home folder) is not showing up as a User under Sys Prefs> Accounts.

You really shouldn't go messing around with root if you don't even understand what the problem is now. Even if you do somehow get it untangled by going underneath the hood with root, you are bound to have all kinds of permissions issues.

Like I stated previously, wipe it, reinstall, and let migration assistant put everything the ways its supposed to be (this is assuming you still have everything on the previously mentioned G5).

Furthermore, if you get into root and expect an online forum to navigate you through it, that's not happening. There are a few good Apple experts here, but they or I will not be able to help without sitting in front of the machine.

Exactly, djackmac…. I don't understand the problem…. which is the reason I'm here. And hoped someone might have insight into it, experience with same and perhaps a solution to offer.

The simple solution of course is usually always to reinstall the system… and while I do still have the G5 (with all its info and a Leopard DVD) I don't have "Snow Leopard" which is on the iMac and which I'd hoped to keep.

I appreciate your honesty about a forum helping with root!
Cheers, Bill

Exactly, djackmac…. I don't understand the problem…. which is the reason I'm here. And hoped someone might have insight into it, experience with same and perhaps a solution to offer.

The simple solution of course is usually always to reinstall the system… and while I do still have the G5 (with all its info and a Leopard DVD) I don't have "Snow Leopard" which is on the iMac and which I'd hoped to keep.

Cheers, Bill
well having Snow on if you want to keep it there is other options you can use your Leopard DVD boot into it and edit the User Accounts and passwords that way. If that doesn't work you can obtain OS X install discs (gray) from apple or on eBay. you can also buy a retail version of Snow on eBay since Snow is now obsolete eBay is one of the few places you can obtain a copy if a friend happens to have a retail copy of snow you could also ask them to borrow it however i have not yet found Leopard for a reasonable price online and snow will be even more then leopard. snow new was 129 dollars so if you can find anything online for a cheaper price you are doing good hope this helps :)

well having Snow on if you want to keep it there is other options you can use your Leopard DVD boot into it and edit the User Accounts and passwords that way. If that doesn't work you can obtain OS X install discs (gray) from apple or on eBay. you can also buy a retail version of Snow on eBay since Snow is now obsolete eBay is one of the few places you can obtain a copy if a friend happens to have a retail copy of snow you could also ask them to borrow it however i have not yet found Leopard for a reasonable price online and snow will be even more then leopard. snow new was 129 dollars so if you can find anything online for a cheaper price you are doing good hope this helps :)
Your lack of good information is only exceeded by your twin (LeoTheLion89).
Snow Leopard is neither "obsolete" nor hard to find, and did not cost $129 new.
You can still buy it from Apple for $29 same price as it always has been.

Cheers, Bill
Bill, you can still order Snow Leopard from Apple, $29.

Thanks jbarley,

Have purchased Snow Leopard.

Might you suggest a forum which would welcome a novice OSX BSD/Unix grasshopper?
There are times when it is absurd to buy a new car when all you need is a fan belt!

………………bill

Thanks for your help everyone!

Even with Snow Leopard on the way to do a clean install (if it'd been necessary) I decided to try changing the Home folder in root. I'm not sure why the Home folder Name didn't change when the former owner of this iMac made me a User (My Name) but it didn't. All is working well, Permissions are okay and as Philip Marlowe would have said 'That's jake with me'.

Cheers and on to exploring Terminal !!!
……..bill

Back