Can't Login! Login Window Only Displays "other..." User.

jasonryant

Registered
I'm running 10.2.8 and have been experiencing a very frustrating problem. When I boot, the login window only lists the network user, which appears as "Other..." with a little network icon beside it. My regular user, the one one which was supposed to be listed, is totally missing. In the Password Reset Utility, my username and the root are still listed, so I know that it still exists. Maybe something has become damaged?

What I've tried:
-Typing in all combinations of usernames and passwords into the generic user fields that appear when I click on the "Other..." user icon.

-Upon recomendation from an independant mac retailer, I booted in Single User Mode, and then systematically tried moving the com.apple.loginwindow.plist and com.apple.windowserver.plist files from /library/preferences/ to /, rebooting, and nothing (well, nothing usefull).

-I've tried booting up in Classic. It works, but seems pointless. I obviously can't access anything OS X related through OS 9. Sometimes my X partition won't mount upon booting in 9.

Is there any way to turn off the login window via the command line and just load the desktop? Unless of course my user account is damaged...

Thanks in advance!

The "Other" account in the list is for the root user. Toy could log in with this (but be very careful..root is NOT a everyday account because it can do great hard if used improperly) and the Open Application->Utilities-> Disk Utility and Repair Permissions. Then log out of root and try to log in with your regular account.

I was able to Repair Permissions using my 10.2 Upgrade CD, and was unable to log in as root (even after reseting the root password, if that does anything)

Thanks anyway. Still stuck and hating the cost of buying a solution (new computer).

Jason

You said you boot into Single-User mode so try to do a fsck to see if that helps. Also try the other suggestions on the web site I have linked.

Back