Can't Login

gleek

Registered
I'm not sure if I did anything different to cause this problem but...

I can't login from the "Login" window. My users are now missing and only the user/pass fields show. If I try to login via a username/pass ... time will pass, the cursor will spin for a 10-30 minutes then the login winow appears again. Sometimes it'll go into a pure blue screen.

Also, during boot it takes a LONG time to even get to the login window. The message "Waiting for network file system..." and "waiting for apache web server..." appear on the screen and the wait is about 10-15 minutes for each.

I did go into the "directory acess" utility, snooping around the Active directory stuff but I thought I removed any changes I may have made. Not sure though.

I CAN boot into OS 9, I can boot into single-user. Just not sure what to do at this point.

Also, when in single user mode. I attempt a "mount -uw" but get a message that says "read-only".

Can't seem to change to read-write. Therefore, I can't even 'view' files 'cause vi / ed /view wants to create temp files and [read-only] is set.

HELP!

:confused:

Well, I can tell you how to get your user list back at the login window.... open System Preferences, and under the System section, click Accounts. Under the Login Options tab, there should be two radio buttons beside the label "Display Login Window as:" and the two options should be "Name and password" and "List of users." If you select "List of users" your user list should be back in the login window.

It also sounds like you have Web Sharing enabled, and OS X is encountering some difficulty starting that service. Are you using a cable modem or DSL? It could be that the apache web server is trying to check for an internet connection or something, and is unable to connect due to difficulties with the cable or dsl connection... or perhaps because there isn't a connection.

The first part I'm pretty sure about -- the web server stuff is beyond my scope, though. Hope that helps a little!

Originally posted by ElDiabloConCaca
Well, I can tell you how to get your user list back at the login window.... open System Preferences, and under the System section, click Accounts. Under the Login Options tab, there should be two radio buttons beside the label "Display Login Window as:" and the two options should be "Name and password" and "List of users." If you select "List of users" your user list should be back in the login window.

Unfortunately, I can't get past the login. So, can't access system prefs.

I have to resort to fixes via console / single user mode or OS 9 access.

I'm going to try and disable apache and look into temp disable of other network systems.

Thanks!

I'm gonna probably have to re-install. I'd still like to find the ANSWER if someone has one.

Thanks,

Back