Can't mount backup drive to desktop

Wrxified

Registered
This week I had an independent authorized Mac service center upgrade my hard disk to a larger, faster drive. I want to use the first drive I bought as a back up disk so I bought a usb 2.0 enclosure from CompUSA. I installed the drive and went to connect it to the Mac but it won't mount. I was worried that possibly the service center messed up the drive so to it to them to see if they could check it out. The guy plugged it into his Titanium Powerbook and it mounted to the desktop immediately?!?! He plugged it into a G5 desktop and had the same results.

Scratching my head walking out of there I took it home and fiddled with it with no success. I installed the included Windoze disk on my desktop in the basement and that mounted the the disk successfully. Getting more and more confused I checked to make sure all of my other devices mount fine with the USB ports on my Powerbook G4. Everything I plug into my Powerbook mounts fine. My iPod, USB Card Reader, Camera, everything..except my old Toshiba drive. Yet the Toshiba drive will mount successfully on any other Mac or Windoze machine without fail.

I'm convinced at this point my old drive has a mind of it's own and took it personally that my Powerbook found a new love for a hard drive.

Any clues as to what the heck I'm doing wrong???

Nothing to offer??

Wrxified said:
This week I had an independent authorized Mac service center upgrade my hard disk to a larger, faster drive. I want to use the first drive I bought as a back up disk so I bought a usb 2.0 enclosure from CompUSA. I installed the drive and went to connect it to the Mac but it won't mount. I was worried that possibly the service center messed up the drive so to it to them to see if they could check it out. The guy plugged it into his Titanium Powerbook and it mounted to the desktop immediately?!?! He plugged it into a G5 desktop and had the same results.

Scratching my head walking out of there I took it home and fiddled with it with no success. I installed the included Windoze disk on my desktop in the basement and that mounted the the disk successfully. Getting more and more confused I checked to make sure all of my other devices mount fine with the USB ports on my Powerbook G4. Everything I plug into my Powerbook mounts fine. My iPod, USB Card Reader, Camera, everything..except my old Toshiba drive. Yet the Toshiba drive will mount successfully on any other Mac or Windoze machine without fail.

I'm convinced at this point my old drive has a mind of it's own and took it personally that my Powerbook found a new love for a hard drive.

Any clues as to what the heck I'm doing wrong???
:(

Most every drive you buy off the self has been formatted for a Windows machine. When you first plug a new drive in reformat it to using Applications-Utilities->Disk Utility.

Second is sometimes a Mac is subjected to all kinds of third party hack programs and it needs to be 'reset'. For your ports on a Mac you can Reset the PRAM.

Back