Can't Mount External Firewire Hdd

smudgescotland

Registered
I have a external firewire hdd which is formatted as mac os extended, the device will not mount on my main mac (x.4 latest). Disk utility just goes spinning ball as soon as even thinks about mounting or erasing the ext. drive. My powerbook mounts the drive instantly. I have tried everything, switch on after powerup, disconnecting and reconnecting, using usb connector. I have a similar problem with my ipod not mounting until a restart. Everything works perfect on my powerbook using the identical os. PLEASE HELP.

Ok it sounds as if something is going on with the one machine and it's "motherboard". I would first try to zap the pram. Second thing would be to Repair Permissions. Third would be mount the drive on the Powerbook and then Repair it with Disk Utility to see if that helps.

thanks for replying, I have repaired/reformatted on the powerbook and it works fine on loads of machines, but still won't mount on the imac. I've reset all firewire ports in the usual manner. I am still suspecting somethin is wrong with disk utility as it just hangs when talking to the ext hdd. I have just re-installed x.4 and updated and still not working even using fwire or usb2???

Back