Can't mount/use audio CDs!

!foom

Registered
I'm running G4 AGP 466 on OS X 10.1.1 with following mods:
- added RAM to 640MB
- added Western Digital 100GB Caviar drive (slave, original 30GB is master)
- replaced original CD with Yamaha CRW2200EZ ATA CD-RW (20/10/40) (master just like the replaced original was)

Everything was fine for a while (was able to boot off CD, use Toast Titanium to burn audio & data CDs, use iTunes to RIP, etc.)

Sometime in the last couple of weeks I changed something that killed audio CDs for me! I ran the security update followed by 10.1.1 update.

Now, if I put an audio CD in the tray, it won't mount in Finder, and won't show up in iTunes. I also am unable to eject the disk, the CD-RW eject won't work, and if I use iTunes eject it freezes iTunes.

Reboot is the only recourse.

Audio CDs work fine under 9.2.1

Any suggestions as to what to look at next?!?!?

Sam

Does an Audio CD show in Apple System Profiler? try adding a new user to OS X, see if you still have no Audio CD logged in as a different user, If so, then could be a corrupted preference file somewhere (there's several as part of CD type preferences) Make sure you're using a commercial Audio CD to try??:confused: :cool:

Just to add my problems in the mix.
I have a B/W G3 that came with DVD Drive; I took it out and also replaced it with a yamaha CD-RW 8824 model. In any case under 9.x everything always works just fine.

Under OS X.0.4, and OS X.1.1 it gives me same problems: Audio CD's do not mount. I have several users set up on the machine and all have same problem. Audio CD's that I have personally burned whether through OS9 or OSX.any.version ARE readable and there is no problem, also Data CD's are okay too. But commercial "go to Target purcahase a CD for 14.99" CD's do not Mount, very frustrating............

If I boot up without a CD in the drive yes Profiler sees it no problem, but once I put a Audio CD the driver literally stops working (can't eject unless I boot up) and if I try to open Profiler it hangs, keeps bouncing and bouncing, like energizer bunny on springs......

Any help would greatly be appreciated.

Have you created a new user since problems started? really sounds like a corrupted driver preference. A fresh set created with a newly added user might not show a problem. If you have added a new user for testing, then how about swapping your old DVD drive back in just to try. If that works, then your new CDRW may not be totally compatible with latest OSX updates

Well that I have not tried. I mean I installed the OS, and during the initial install I set it up with the initial user accounts. Basically yeah the problem has occurred for everyone that I initially set up which is wierd in itself.

I'll try that l8tr today to see if adding a new user and logging in with that user actually shows that it is a file corruption error; who knows huh?!?!?

Anyway I have already searched Yamaha and Apple for any; I mean any, information on any compatibility issues with the drive.

You know, now that I think about it I believe the drive did work under the update that gave iTunes recording capabilities back with 10.0.x...... in anycase I do remember specifically that I was having problems with some commercial CD's but a few like Sheryl Crow and U2 actually were read and thankfully I got to import them into my library. Now I forgot to try those yesterday to see if the problem would affect those CD's or not I'll let you guys know.

Back