Cant open the disc drives

PRB216

Registered
i just got a powermac g4 last week, and the computer is awesome. It was running Mac OS 9.2, so i bought the Mac OS X Panther software. The problem is that i cant open up my disc drives to install it, because i have a windows keyboard. I know that on the mac keyboards, they have a button to open the drives, but my keyboard cant. can someone please tell me how to open the drives from within the computer? I've opened software that has eject buttons for DVD and CD players but it says no disc present sop i cant open them. please help me!!!!

Open the CD plate, don't know which model you have, and you should see a little pin hole. Push a paper clip in there and it should open. You should also be able to restart holding the mouse down and open it.

You can also do this easily in the terminal.
The tool you need is drutil. Because I'm not sure which drive you refer to I can't post an exact command, but just man drutil and you'll find it's pretty understandable. For example, I use drutil tray open -drive external to open the tray on my LaCie External drive.
Cheers.
SiR G

the only method that worked was holding down the mouse while restarting, but it worked so thanks guys!!

i'm sure this must have come up before; is this a glitch in the G4? I've had periodic problems with this myself. Sometimes the OS can't see a CD that is currently in the drive, or when I'm burning CDs you can't trash the icons of the CDs even after they're removed. Or you can't eject a CD no matter what you do: through keyboard, iTunes, pulldown in OSX or the terminal.
It's pretty annoying...thank god CD drives aren't used every 5 seconds like they were years ago.

Back