Can't play avi file on VLC or QuickTime: 'not a movie file'

Discussion in 'Mac OS X System & Mac Software' started by Wormwood, Oct 19, 2009.

1. Wormwood

Wormwood
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Registered

I'm trying to download a movie which has been split into several avi files. The first file works on VLC, but the subsequent parts can't be played on VLC or QuickTime. I get the message that the file 'is not a movie file.' I have downloaded Perian but the file can't even be opened on QuickTime.

This has happened to me with another movie as well. First part could be played but not the subsequent parts.

The download links are here: http://moviereviewsquare.blogspot.com/2008/08/1000000-million-yen-girl-2008.html

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

2. artov

artov
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Registered

It might be (I did not download the movie), that the original movie is sliced to smaller pieces. You have to put them together. I bet there are some graphical programs that do that, but you can do it using terminal.app and Unix command(s).

Try

on terminal.app. The catch is to give the files in increasing number order to the cat command and direct them to another file with > (redirect the files).

3. Scoops98

Scoops98
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Registered

4. MisterMe

MisterMe
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Registered

You are not paying attention to the files that you are trying to download. Their extensions are not .avi. Their extensions are .001, .002, etc. These designate the sequence numbers of segmented archives. You should download all of the files for each archive. Then use Stuffit Expander or The Unarchiver to join the segments.

5. Satcomer

Satcomer
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    In Geostationary Orbit

Well the YouTube preview reads "This video has been removed due to terms of use violation", even on a PC. So you are chasing a pulled vide even in the download pages.