Can't play embedded streams

daniv

Registered
I updated to OS X 10.4.11 with Safari 3.0.4 today.
Now Safari won't show the YouTube video player, instead showing a dimmed QuickTime logo with a question mark.

I followed YouTube's troubleshooting instructions and verified that in Quicktime Preferences, the "Miscellaneous" option is unchecked in the "MIME Types" box.
Nevertheless, the problem persists.

In addition, I can no longer play streaming audio of the type found here:
http://kpfa.org/archives/index.php?arch=23314

This page also displays a dimmed QuickTime logo with a question mark when it worked fine with the previous version of Safari.

How do I solve this problem?

BTW, I've experienced the same problem in Mozilla FireFox for a long time now.

OK. First go to the folder /Library/QuickTime/ and make sure you have no DivX plugins plus any other weird QuickTime codecs.

Now go to System Preferences>QuickTime->Advance tab and make sure the Transport Setup is set to Automatic. Plus click on MIME Settings ... and make sure you have check marks in Stream & Video.

If one of these suggestions works, download the full 110MB 10.5.1 Update.

Satcomer,

Thanks for replying. I have to explain that the macox.com folks moved only my first question in an evolving correspondence. I solved my Safari problem the same day I posted the initial question by unchecking Miscellaneaous file formats and RTSP stream descriptor in MIME Settings and repairing permissions. The problem has returned several times since then, and usually I resolved it anew by repairing permissions. Today, however, I returned from several days away, and once again Safari isn't playing Flash streams. I deleted all DivX files and repaired permissions again, but this has done n good.

In addition, Firefox hasn't responded to anything so far. The two most recent versions of Firefox have not been playing Flash streams on my Mac for quite a while now.

After a second permission repair and restart, Safari is playing Flash streams again. I suspect that I may have to repeat this operation each time I turn on the computer.

I have had this problem a few times. I am not as sophisticated, but repairing permissions has not helped.

What I have found worked has been to simply reload the latest flash player found on the Adobe. I actually downloaded the Install engine. I have found flash to occasionally fail, even when surfing. I then have to reload it.

After a few days of this, it remains stable. Then I do not have a problem for a month or so.

No, I lack the sophistication as to why that happens.

This may be easier for you than having to repair permissions and restart.

--J.D.

What I have found worked has been to simply reload the latest flash player found on the Adobe. [...]
--J.D.

One of the first things I did when the problem surfaced was to download and reinstall Flash Player. It made no difference. I also downloaded and reinstalled Firefox, but this, too, didn't solve the Firefox problem.

Reloading Flash Player is actually more trouble than repairing permissions, but I'll try anything at this point.

J.D.,

Your solution has done the trick -- at least for the time being. I deleted all files with flash in their names and downloaded Flash Player 9 again. To my delight, not only is Safari working properly, but Firefox is playing YouTube videos for the first time in quite a while.

Many thanks.

No problemo!

I have not had to re-install flash since my exploits with File Vault which brought me to this place! Before that point, I would have to reinstall every so often. It was a pain in the nether regions, but I do not know what else to do.

--J.D.

Back