Can't put music files in music folder

solidbrolly

Registered
I have some sound effects that I have on my external hard drive that I want to listen to and add to my iTunes, but whenever I go to do that I get a message that says I don't have permission to write on my music folder. I am the only account on my Macbook Pro. I checked and I have the rights to read and write on my music folder. I don't know how to fix the problem. It also happens when I add music that I downloaded from the internet not iTunes. Sometimes with that I just have to hold option or command (I don't remember off the top of my head) and that'll let me copy the music into a folder that I created. How can I get permission to write into/onto my music folder for my Macbook Pro?

You wouldn't be copying those files from an external hard drive that's formatted as NTFS, would you?

If you have iTunes set up to manage the music files, and you have a hard drive that you can only copy from (not to, as with NTFS), then I can see this happening...

Have you checked permissions on your Music folder? Maybe a simple "repair permissions" in Disk Utility (and a restart after that) will solve the problem. But it sounds like "that says I don't have permission to write on my music folder" might actually mean what it says. People tend to ignore the exact wording of an error message, because they don't trust them. But actually, most of the time, a computer error message simply _tells_ you what's wrong.

My external hard drive is formatted as FAT 32. I did the disk permission verify. So far I can download music off the internet and it'll add to my itunes with no problem. I don't know if I'll be able to add my sound effects yet cause I accidentally deleted those off my external hard drive. Thanks for you help guys.

Back