Can't repair disk

djp_phillips

Registered
My internal hard drive won't mount, and when i startup on my external drive, i check the disk in disk utility and the internal HD won't mount, and I can't copy a new image of it, when i run a verify disk on it it says it needs to be repaired, and when i repair it says an underlaying error occurred etc... so i tried booting from the mac os x disk and going to the disk utility on that. But it is stuck on "gathering disk information" and won't do anything.

I tried disk warrior, but that blocked after a nights work,

Can I still hope to recover my files?

What can I do ?

Disk Warrior will sometimes take a really long time to complete. I have seen it run for 2 to 3 days, and read about 4 or 5 days. I don't know if I would let it go that long, but 24 to 48 hours is common.
Which Mac do you have?

the mac in question is a 10.4 (latest update) and it refused to mount following a forced shut down due to the loading icon lasting forever to move a file, and since, it can't mount.

Disk warrior was at work all last night and didn't budge on the progression bar, and just trying it again and it seems that it's stuck...
and it says under the progression bar "speed inhibited by disk malfunction" - sounds bad...

Thanks, but the operating system doesn't tell what model of Mac you have...
MacBook, iBook, iMac, eMac, Mac Pro, other?

Yes - "speed inhibited by disk malfunction" from Disk Warrior is not a good sign.
You would usually see some evidence of actual progress in a repair utility.

The reason that I ask about the Mac model that you have - some are relatively simple to remove the hard drive. Some folks have found that putting that hard drive in a freezer bag, then in the freezer for several hours, sometimes will allow you to retrieve files. It might be worth the effort if you have important files that you want to recover, otherwise, sending the drive to a commercial data recovery service might be your only hope of saving some files.

i just had this happening and i ended up copying as much as i could manually, file by file, took a while but most of my stuff is back and working. only lost a few things... the drive died an hour after i was doing copying the stuff.. hope you get some of your files back.

Back