Can't Rotate the Screen Enough!

fotodad

Registered
I just bought a used graphite G3 iMac. When I booted it up I noticed that the screen was rotated about 15 degrees clockwise. I went into the preferences and selected "monitor." It had a place to rotate the screen but it won't rotate enough counter clockwise to make the screen level. How can I get it to be level? Any thoughts?

Thanks!!

fotodad said:
I just bought a used graphite G3 iMac. When I booted it up I noticed that the screen was rotated about 15 degrees clockwise. I went into the preferences and selected "monitor." It had a place to rotate the screen but it won't rotate enough counter clockwise to make the screen level. How can I get it to be level? Any thoughts?

Thanks!!

This might take a screen recalibration which might require a trip to an authorized Apple Repair Center (special tool) and even then there's no guarantee that it'll be fixable. You could try an external monitor, that'd certainly work.

You could try resetting the Pram

During startup up hold down the Command (apple key), Option key, P and R keys all together until you hear the startup chime twice then release all keys

You'll have to open it up and turn the yoke a bit. It sounds like it's been knocked around a little. There's gonna be a clamp with a screw you can loosen. Loosen it then turn the yoke a little, turn the thing back on and see if the electronic controls can get you either way of horizontal. When you can get it centered tighten up the yoke and close the case.

Am I the only one around who's old skool enough to understand CRTs?

Eek, if you DO open up the iMac to level the CRT (Cathode Ray Tube), PLEASE be very careful, as I understand those things can hold a major charge after being unplugged for a while, and when touching certain parts of the tube, you risk electrocution.

Might want to find an iMac service manual to make sure you're handling things correctly.

P.S. I agreed the aforementioned statements: the thing is physically turned too much inside the case. you have to open it and level it.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I'm going to try all of them. Here's a dumb question: How do I get the case off so I can rotate the yolk? And what is it I'll actually rotate? Will it need to be unscrewed or loosened in some way?

Thanks again!

fotodad said:
Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I'm going to try all of them. Here's a dumb question: How do I get the case off so I can rotate the yolk? And what is it I'll actually rotate? Will it need to be unscrewed or loosened in some way?

Thanks again!
I don't exactly know how to open the case, I'm not familar with that machine. Look for screws on/in the back case. Maybe you'll find a guide on the web.

As to the yoke, it will be very, very, obvious what I'm talking about once you get the box open. It's on the neck of the crt and it's a bunch of copper colored wires all wrapped around into coils on a plastic frame shaped to fit around the back of the crt. It's the thing that deflects the beam to make it scan the front of the crt, back and forth and up and down.

The clamp is like a hose clamp, kinda like a radiator hose clamp you'll see under the hood of your car. It simply clamps the plastic frame of the yoke to the neck of the crt. Once it's loosened a bit you can turn the yoke. Don't move it around any more than you have to because you'll screw up the convergence (the red, blue, green focus). Just turn it a little.

It's quite safe to do this, just make sure the box is unplugged when you've got your hands in there and keep your fingers away from the fat wire that connects into the back of the crt.

I've done it hundreds of times over the years.

I used to fix TVs and stuff so it got so that if I was in a motel room or somewhere with a messed up TV it would bug me enough that I'd open it up and fix it up.

Reverse room service. :D

Great information and advise. I think I'll post some pictures of the back of the iMac. I don't see any screws, only plastic over plastic clips.

Back