Can't see ethernet option using Migration Assistant

xgipper

Registered
Hiya

I'm trying to move user accounts using Migration Assistant from a blue and white G3 (the source) running 10.4.11 to an imac G5 (the target) also running 10.4.11, and having some troubles.

I checked latest system software running on both, and repaired permissions.

I did this step on the G3 as advised by Apple (assume it's not necessary on the G5?): "If you are migrating from a Mac with Mac OS X v10.4 or later, update it to Mac OS X v10.4.11, then install Migration and DVD and CD Sharing Update."

I got very hot and bothered moving the G5 imac under the desk so I could connect it using my very short firewire cable, but that failed: I then discovered that the G3 doesn't support Target Disc Mode.

Then I tried to connect both machines directly using an ethernet cable, but Migration Assistant on the G5 does not come up with an option to connect via ethernet, as it suggests it should under step 7 on Apple's support pages here. The G5 can 'see' the G3 when I ask it to 'connect to server > browse' however.

Even though it says you don't *need* to use a router or switch, I then tried connecting both machines to my wireless router, and re-launched MA on the G5; still it gives no option for connecting via Ethernet.

What am I doing wrong please? Maybe I need to sort out my network settings first, but I don't really know where to start - pretty hopeless with n/w stuff.

Thank you.

Here's the quickest answer:
Remove the hard drive from the B&W G3, and install that hard drive in a Firewire external case. Connect via firewire to your G5
Run migration assistant on the G5 to move the user account over from that hard drive.

Thank you.

I take it there's some very complicated reason why this isn't going to work over Ethernet, then, and why that isn't offered as an option?

I also have a G4 tower mac which has FW - is it likely the G3 disc would fit/transfer from there to save me the cost/hassle of locating and buying a suitable enclosure?

Thanks

Yes, that would work from your G4 tower - and let you continue to follow all the instructions (such as booting into Firewire mode, etc)
You can also either swap out the G4 drive completely, or add as another device. You would want to watch for jumpers that might be needed when you add another drive - adding a second drive to an ATA cable means either jumpers for cable select, or slave, depending on how the first drive is configured.

To save going under the bonnet, could I not also back up the entire G3 disc onto a FW external drive (in fact not much more than buying a FW drive enclosure), using Carbon Copy Cloner, and then use MA to import the user accounts and data into the G5? I seem to remember there's an 'import from disc' option. Is this right? Anything else to be aware of in that scenario?

I think I'd really like to know roughly why the ethernet option might not be presented, too :)

Then - you would need both an external firewire drive, and the time to copy to another drive.
Very simple to just pull the drive - open the side door by pulling the loop on the side. Disconnect the hard drive, and remove one screw, which allows you to lift out the drive. Same process on your newer Mac G4 tower, except all you need is to plug the drive in.

For the ethernet option - did you run the Migration assistant on BOTH Macs? That app must be open on both, with ethernet either connecting from one Mac to the other, or, both ethernet connected to an active switch or hub (such as your wireless router) If you are transferring from A to B, then on Mac A, you would set that up to go from A to B. On Mac B, you would set that migration assistant to go to B from A. One of the Macs will provide a code that you have to type in on the OTHER Mac, and the transfer should begin within a minute or two.

Back