Can't see printers on XP machine

This is really getting crazy. I am not sure what the problem is.
The setup:
XP machine - Firewall off. No ZoneAlarm. Printers set to share. Allow UNIX printing turned on. File sharing turned on. 2 printers connected via USB (direct to machine not on a hub)

OS 10.4.3
Firewall is off.
Going to windows printing - I only see one printer not the other.
Going to Network to get to the shared folder, XP machine shows.

Both machines are connected to a Linksys Router. Both machines can access the internet.

Click on connect and nothing appears or I get the warning "The alias "XXXX" could not be opened because the original item cannot be found.
I have the choice of Delete Alias, Fix Alias, or OK.

Delete Alias does not work because "you do not have permission"
Fix Alias brings a new window and now I see the files that are marked to share.. but I can not open them, or copy them. The window says to select the application I want to use to open "XXXX" (the XP machine).

Now what????

I still can't see the printer under windows printing, BUT it does show up in the CUPS web interface.

I can configure the printer from there. BUT I get this message:

"Unable to connect to SAMBA host, will retry in 60 seconds...DEBUG: /LiGothicMed"

The test page does not print.

In my printer window I get this message:

Connection failed with error
NT_STATUS_UNSUCCESSFUL

I feel a headache coming.

Cheryl I don't have the kind of setup you have described. however I have printed to Windows 2000 server after much frustration by using Printer Setup Repair. It won't fix all problems but it will help in making sure the setup in Print Center is correct. It even has a 7 day trial system setup so it may help.

Thanks Satcomer, but I tired that. It didn't help.

I did notice something - the laser printer is connected to the usb port of the monitor on the windows machine. Could that be causing me not being able to see it?

Hi: I had a problem where one printed connected USB wouldn't show up. They are both connected to the same XP box, yet one would not show up. After hours of playing with drivers and whatnot, I took a wild guess that maybe the name was just too long for OS X. The name was like "Brother HL-1850 Laser Printer" or longer. Anyway, it was LONG. So I just renamed it to "Brother". Bam - it shows up on OS X.

Of course, it doesn't print except from text pad, even using CUPS. It did print if I connected the machine directly to the Mac, but then I had some problems with how it printed from the Windows machines where I need it to print from.

No browser on OS X will print anything except garbage to my Windows networked printers. I have found similar problems with other people all over the place. My only thought right now is to get a dedicated printer for the Mac.

dbonneville - Thank You!!!

That was the problem - the share name was too long!!!!!

I changed the share name to something short and sweet and viola!!!

::love::

Great! I would love to know what you are able to print, though. I can't print hardly anything...Plain text works, but that about it. PDFs are garbled, and any browser prints blank pages or pages with junk characters across the top.

Try different drivers for the printer. I had that problem the first time I was able to connect to the printer. I had to try different drivers until the garbage went away.

I tried updated new, old, and CUPS 4.x and 5.x drivers for both an HP 6110 and a Brother HL1850 and can't get anything to work when the printer is connected to an XP machine. I can print plain text, or I can print 150dpi injket (like dot-matrix from 1980 style) but nothing else for the printers I have. Not sure what to do...

Doug

I reinstalled them just now. I'm on Tiger (current). The inkjet is severly limited, but it prints (150x150, 300x300, 600x600, all SLLLOOW). The laser works pretty good, but the sides of the pages get cut off, as does the inkject. I can print if there are some good borders around the pages.

I really wish I could get the drivers from Brother to work instead of the GIMP drivers. I'd love to get my full duplex and multi-page layouts working from the Mac.

If a company provides an "all in one" driver, how to you get the driver you need to be in the menu? The software wants to make you set it up as if it was attached to your machine. But the Brother is attached to a Windows box...

Doug

Rather than doing an easy install for the driver, have you tried a custom install? Then just installing the driver needed.

By the way, I have to use the Gimp drivers for both printers that are on the XP machine. Nothing else works.

Back