Can't see printers on XP machine

Cheryl

Rosie Moderator
Staff member
Mod
I had some severe problems with my hard drive, so I backed up everything, did an erase and install of Tiger.
At the same time, my honey was downloading updates on his XP machine.

The problem is I can not connect to the laserjet connected to the XP. I can see the XP machine in Windows printing (in Print Setup Utility), but no printers show up. I have tried IP printing, SAMBA, Installed Ghostprint (it did nothing to help), tried different HP drivers that closely match the laser.
I think I have exhausted all my ideas.

HP LaserJet 1160 connected to XP via usb
XP and 10.4.2 connected via Linksys ethernet router
Printer sharing is turned on (on XP) along with allowing unix printing.
router unchanged settings.
Double checked settings on XP and allowed guest.
Double checked ZoneAlarm (on XP) to allow printer sharing.
Double checked Directory Access on the Mac to make sure all was enabled.

I had the printer set before the re-install and updates on the XP. Now I can see the XP - even in Network, it's those printers that do not show up.

I realize that this could be the fault of the XP machine, but I am not sure what. An MS setting, or ZoneAlarm? Do I have to be set as a user in order to see those printers? Or is there something I missed (because I am really tired)

Any help from our windows/network gurus would be helpful.
::love::

Thanks for the ideas, but they didn't work.
I get errors when trying to connect via Windows -Samba.

I was given a user name and administrator to the XP computer, but still can not see the printers. Under Windows printing I see the XP computer, but no printers show up (I use to see both printers connected to the XP machine).
The XP is set up correctly per the ifelix web site.

Here is a twist:
When I try to connect to the XP via Network, I get "the alias "computername" could not be opened, because the original item cannot be found."

I can not delete the alias file because "I do not have permission" I then get caught in a loop.

I would like to use the laser jet printer for my text only documents. :(
I was able to before.

I think repairing permissions will help (for deleting the alias).

The situation you are in is quite common when both computers are using DHCP for IP address and both get shut down and "reset" - like preferences lost, like software reinstalled, etc.
Resetting the router (power off for 30 secs) and restarting both computers to re-establish DHCP connection often helps here.
Recheck the IP addresses and try the iFelix method above - it gets around the confusion of changes pretty well.

If that still doesn't work, let's try some basic troubleshooting - run this command in Terminal:
"smbclient -NL {IP address of PC}"
This tells us if Samba can find the printer on the PC.

Repairing permissions did not change anything.

Terminal gives this report:

Domain=[{XP name}] OS=[Windows 5.1] Server=[Windows 2000 LAN Manager]

Sharename Type Comment
--------- ---- -------
Error returning browse list: NT_STATUS_OK
session request to {IP address} failed (Called name not present)
session request to 192 failed (Called name not present)
Domain=[{XP name}] OS=[Windows 5.1] Server=[Windows 2000 LAN Manager]

Server Comment
--------- -------

Workgroup Master
--------- -------

My thinking is it maybe something on the XP machine that is preventing me seeing the printers.

We will try the power down and restart and see if that changes anything.

resetting the router and restarting both machines did not change anything.

I can see the XP, but no printers. :(

I wonder if this is a ZoneAlarm (on the XP) problem?

Yes, please try turning off Zone Alarm, and the WinXP SP2 firewall too.

Your smbclient command shows no shares (disks or folders, and printers), so you won't be able to file share or print until that is fixed.
Here's what my smbclient command result looks like:

Domain=[NEW_ANCHOR] OS=[Windows 5.1] Server=[Windows 2000 LAN Manager]

Sharename Type Comment
--------- ---- -------
My Documents Disk
IPC$ IPC Remote IPC
D$ Disk Default share
print$ Disk Printer Drivers
C Disk
D Disk
HPLaserJ Printer HP LaserJet 4L/4ML PostScript
My Pictures Disk
Hot_Printer Disk
ADMIN$ Disk Remote Admin
C$ Disk Default share
session request to 192.168.200.11 failed (Called name not present)
session request to 192 failed (Called name not present)
Domain=[NEW_ANCHOR] OS=[Windows 5.1] Server=[Windows 2000 LAN Manager]

Server Comment
--------- -------

Workgroup Master
--------- -------

(So you see the "called name not present" is normal for this command, but I've got a bunch of shares available.)

You might want to go to "Sharing" (right click properties) for all the desired shares and see that they're still shared, too.

Good luck.

The WinXP Firewall is off. All the sharing is still on.
Zone Alarm was installed previously and allowed me to see the printers before. My husband is really leery of turning off his protection.

Is there a special setting in Zone Alarm that we are missing? Or did the last update from MS do this?

Of course, my husband is saying it is the Mac that is causing this grief. :(

Windows sharing uses port 139 (Samba).
LPD printing uses port 515.
IPP printing uses port 631.
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106439

Unless you've heard that the firewall in your router doesn't work, I don't believe a software firewall is necessary. My opinion.
(I open that up to all the folks reading here for comment!!!)

Good luck.

If no luck and you're willing to try, here's another printing option:
http://ifelix.co.uk/tech/3002.html
(requires enabling the TCP/IP - LPD service on WinXP)

(PS - if this gets really frustrating, I'm at Western & Foster here in the city)

I have tried everything you suggested. I made sure those ports were open. I checked Zone Alarm and I am listed as a trusted computer. Unix printing is active. Printing is showing shared. I even turned off the firewall in Zone Alarm and that did not work.

I have tried Windows printing via Samba, Advanced printer selection. Nothing works.

I still can not see the printers, though I can see the computer. And terminal still does not show the shared folders.

Is it the Mac or the XP?

<I>Is it the Mac or the XP?</I>
Good question - I'm leaning toward the PC. But please try these - in the Terminal on OS X and in a Command Prompt on XP, please run the command:
ping {IP address of the other computer}

(On the MAc, CTRL-C to stop it scrolling; Windows seems to be smart enough to stop)

And on the PC, again in a Command Prompt, run this (which is similar to the smbclient command, but doesn't seem to list Folder shares):
net view \\{IP address of the Mac}

I'd like to see the output, if possible (or describe it).

Question - Do you have a single router, or something like a router plus an airport base station? (Fishing for connectivity problems here)

Thanks for hanging in there.

There is no tiger download. That was the first page I went to. All it says is that the drivers for HP printers are on the Tiger install disk.

And I 'reset' Printer Setup Utility - tried again. Nothing. It can not find connection via Samba, does not see the printers under Windows printing.

What is strange is that I did have that printer all set before I did a clean install of Tiger.

Gsahli -
The Mac ping results:
40 packets transmitted, 40 packets received, 0% packet loss
round-trip min/avg/max/stddev = 0.545/0.689/2.416/0.402 ms

The PC ping results:
Packets: sent 4 Received 4 Lost 0

Net View
system error 53 has occurred
The network path was not found

????

Hi Cheryl,
You don't have the firewall on, on the Mac, do you?

Is the PC used for a VPN (virtual Private Network) connection to a company computer? Citrix is the only one I have experience with, and it locks me out while my wife is using it. I suppose VOIP (voice over IP) might cause similar restrictions.

If neither, then I'm convinced it's the PC that's not set up right for sharing.

I suggest you try all of this with another computer (either Mac or PC) to confirm.

You have now reached the limit of my Windows experience! I hope someone else can help you.

No VPN, No VOIP. Linksys router is by itself - no airport or other router attached.

I tried this with Mac firewall on and off.

Frustration is deepening :(

My husband is blaming all this trouble on the Mac. I have deep frustration as I would like to use the laser printer for my text printing.

What really troubles me is that it was working before. The only thing that has changed is a wipe of my hard drive and a clean install of Tiger. :(

In rereading the thread, I noticed that you installed the Printer Services for Unix option in Windows. If this is the case, have you tried accessing the printer using the LPR option in Print Center? Remember that Windows might see Mac OS X as a UNIX machine. Maybe somehow this option is overriding the SMB sharing from the Windows machine. Try the LPR option and see what happens.

Also, try removing the Print Services for Unix on the Windows machine and see if that will help accessing it with Samba.

Hi Cheryl,
Before anything else, try setting your Workgroup to the same as the PC. In the Utility "Directory Access," unlock it, double click SMB/CIFS, change workgroup name at the very top and apply.

Even though I asked you to make this change, I still think this is a PC problem. Please read this about error 53, from the net view command above:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;822345

But who knows - try ADDing the printer again.

Take care.

Back