Can't see printers on XP machine

I maybe getting closer. I now get Network host is busy.

Of course, I know the printer and network host is sitting idle.
LPR tries, but then stops the job with no message. :confused:

Which protocol (in Printer Setup) gives you the Network Host is Busy? (Try both IP>LPD and Windows Printing)

Sorry for the delay. I am back to work (a school) and this danged printer was the last thing on my mind today.
Directory Access is set to the correct network - I double checked.
I tried IPP and I got the Network busy.
I tired HTTP and get Network busy.
Using IP>LPD I get Attempting to connect..... forever, then a timed out message.
The same thing happens when I use Advanced LPD.
Using Windows Printing I see the XP computer, but no printers show up.

The XP has all the service packs installed, so that articles doesn't really help.
A co worker thought it was a permissions problem on the XP, so he corrected that. I got a warning on my machine after he was done - But I did not write it down - I should have.

I wonder if a restart of the Mac would help.

Hold the line, Cheryl
I never try to reach a printer in this way (Mac -> PC), but I have asked the Windows system manager here at the office to try your experience (he owns a Mini, a WinXP and a Linux machine). I'll post back answers in some days, whatever they'll be good or bad
Philippe

Thanks ! What really is frustrating is that I have connected to the printer on the XP before. Before a clean install and XP's latest updates (what ever they were).

Cheryl

See if this helps;

On The PC;
- go to My Network Places, Network Connections.
- New task on the left: Change Windows Firewall Settings
- click on it, then click on the Exceptions tab.
- Click on Add Port
- enter "whatever LPR" in Name
- and "515" in Port Number
- Leave TCP selected,
- click OK,

Port 515 may not be the port you need. Enable the firewall log and look at
what port is being rejected, when the Mac tried to print

Bob, Windows Firewall is off. (Tiger's firewall is off as well)

Philippe, The Mac has the smb client file, and permissions are correct.

Here is the corker:

On the XP in Command I checked the net view. The results were:

System error 53 has occurred.
The network path was not found.

So it is obvious to me the XP that is causing the problem.

After much trouble myself I managed to print to the hp1010 lj attached to one of our office servers.

Try using
smb://xp username: password@server name/print share name for the device URL and use smb://ip address/printshare name for the location.

I find using this http://127.0.0.1:631/printers is much easier to use than printer setup utility.

Hope this helps :)

You may not need the space between username and password but I get username:password when posting!

Also Zonealarm should be set so that your mac is 'trusted'

ZoneAlarm is set to trust me.

The CUPS web printing would be great - if it would accept my password.

Or is there a generic password to get in?

Now I think everything is screwed up. Trying to get to Windows Printing gives me a blank window.
Trying to connect via Windows via SAMBA gives me:

NT_STATUS_UNSUCCESSFUL

I did not change any settings on the Linksys router. Should there be something in there that I need to double check?

Maybe I should trash all the printing stuff and reinstall just the print files. :(

Cheryl, here the test of my Win manager
This test has been made with a non PCL compatible printer; if PCL compatible printer (like HP), he says that is more complicated because you must install a driver in CUPS
I translate to english his note, so perhaps, some name/keyword are not exactly the same than the ones on a US Mac OS

First of all, the XP printer must allow "everybody" to share to. You must also know the workgroup in which the printer is, the username&password you use to connect to the XP

1. File > Print

2. In the opened window, scrool the pop-up menu where the names of your printers are listed and selct "Add a printer"

3. The printer setup utility launches
Select "More Printers" ; in the local menu above, choose "Windows printing", then select a workgroup (you must know the workgroup in which the XP printer is in) in the pop-up just under: select the printer's workgroup and "choose"

4. All the windows printers of the selected workgroup should appear

5. Select the target printer, then its model; select "choose" and enter the username&password if required ; if the printer is HP PCL compatible, try to select a model definition which is close to the target printer

6. If MacOS cannot find the printer options, a dialog area appears and invites you to define these options

Hope this may help you
Philippe

gsahli said:
Windows sharing uses port 139 (Samba).
LPD printing uses port 515.
IPP printing uses port 631.
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106439

Unless you've heard that the firewall in your router doesn't work, I don't believe a software firewall is necessary. My opinion.
(I open that up to all the folks reading here for comment!!!)

Good luck.

If no luck and you're willing to try, here's another printing option:
http://ifelix.co.uk/tech/3002.html
(requires enabling the TCP/IP - LPD service on WinXP)

(PS - if this gets really frustrating, I'm at Western & Foster here in the city)

I encourage you to do some research on "egress firewalls" and the benefits therein.

But turning it off for 15 minutes (while already behind a router/firewall) won't hurt.

Cheryl said:
Thanks! I'll give it a try and let you know what happens.

Cheryl,
I've had something similar with a different printer, so my first guess it XP is to blame. Share that sucker from the Mac! :D
Aside from that, make sure the Guest account is active on the XP box; that's what allows an initial listing of shares without authentication. Also, try a manual mapping, if possible, though I don't know how to do that in tiger.

But by all means, turn that ZoneAlarm off for 15 minutes. If Mr. Cheryl is worried about security, tell him to get a Mac. Or turn off the Internet connection for 15 minutes.

-Jason

It took me a while to do what I wanted to and several things happened along the way.

The XP machine needed a complete reinstall for reasons other than printer trouble. After getting everything restored on that machine, I did an archive install of 10.4 and made sure the printer stuff got installed.

Now in the printer utility>Windows printing I see only one of the printers from the XP (there are 2 printers connected to the XP machine). Trouble is it is not the laser which is what I want.

File sharing is turned on and I can get to those folders just not the laser printer. :(

Cheryl...

Did you ever find a resolution to this? I have the same issue and have tried everything under the sun. I have an older HP PSC 750. Other machine is running XP too. I was fine printing in 10.3 then when I went to 10.4, it all stopped. I've tried everything myself and am completely frustrated. Let me know if and when you find a solution.

Thank
Tanya

I have not found a solution. I can see one HP printer on the XP but not the HP Laser. Really crazy.
Notes: Zone Alarm is not installed anymore. XP firewall is turned off.

I am thinking that if I install 10.3, set up the window printer - then install 10.4 it just might work. But I don't have time for that right now.

Back