Cant see wireless router

bigbadjohn

Registered
Mac desktop 10.4

Cant see wireless, it used to work OK, but now will not see any wireless router
Computer is only 6 month old

My guess is that you set the SSID to hidden, but I could be wrong. If it was hidden, you can connect my manually entering the SSID. I would reboot/reset the router.

Thanks for the advice
I tried all that
Could I do a re-install of osx and keep all settings, would that help
since its only 6 months old would I get free support Apple

Depends. If it's over 6 months, you'll pay for telephone support. Support inside an apple store would be free. If you buy AppleCare, you get 3 years of support.

I am Windows user and am thinking in these terms

Can I do some sort of repair install

Its a kids computer probably easiest way to fix it would be to reinstall?

Dont know its not my computer, helping a friend out
I tried putting in wirelss name etc.

With a name of BigBADJohn I really wonder if the computer is not stolen.::evil::

Now if it is not stolen, try to make another user account on the Mac to see if the problem remains. Plus did you go to System Preferences->Network->Airport selection and make sure airport is set to Automatic?

Also, rather than reinstalling OS X why not just reinstall the latest Airport software, could help. I can't imagine a full reinstall would help anymore than that.

Have you had a look at Apple Menu-->About This Mac-->More Info...-->Airport Card, Just to check whether your wireless card is being recognised okay.

Lastly and I know its obvious but ya know. Are there any other computers which are able to connect to this network?

I think reinstalling the operating system would be premature. There are, unfortunately, several reasons why a machine wouldn't be accessing a router. Sometimes the solution is as simple as restarting the router or the Mac.

I have had problems with one of my routers--dropouts-- that I can only speculate are caused by interference. If you have another router, you can swap it for the current one to see if that solves the problem.

I would try, as Stewey said, re-install the Airport drivers next.

Doug

Why not check the router and see if it's transmitting first?

Then set up a Location for that router on the computer in the apple menu. Normally your mac is set to automatic but this doesn't always give you the most control over what network you connect to.

Back