Can't start up quad G5 from Cinema display

jbaugh

Registered
I just got my new quad G5. I'm very happy with it overall. But I have one annoying problem.
I have it connected to my ADC 21 inch Apple Cinema Display with an Apple DVI to ADC adaptor.
The problem: I can't start up the G5 by pressing the power button on the Cinema Display. The touch sensitive button activates, but the computer does not start up. I have to press the startup button on the front of the G5 for it to start up. This is not a major inconvenience. But if it is supposed to work, why doesn't it?

The same setup works fine when connected to my Titanium PB. Pressing the power button on the cinema display will either startup my PB or give me a dialogue asking if I want to shut down if the computer is running.

I have been on the phone with Apple Techinical Support for over an hour. They don't know.
The technician said that "maybe" the problem is that the model of Cinema Display I have is too old to power on the quad G5. This seems unlikely. After all, it works fine on my PowerBook.

Anyone have any ideas?
Thanks.
John

It sounds like the tech is right, or that the adaptor is causing the problems. It's not unlikely at all that this would be the case -- the Titanium PowerBook was manufactured MUCH closer to the date the Cinema Display was manufactured, and the G5 not so much...

Is simply sleeping the G5 not an option?

ElDiabloConCaca said:
Is simply sleeping the G5 not an option?

The lack of the ability to startup from the monitor is not that big a deal. Yes, sleeping the computer is what I will ususally do.

I was just concerned that this inability might be a symptom of some more serious problem with my new computer. If this is expected behavior then I can live with it.
John

Back