Can't telnet into 10.1

mincho

Registered
I have an iBook(dual USB) and a RevB iMac both updated this past weekend to X 10.1. I have checked 'allow remote login' on the Applications tab of the Sharing Prefs panel.

Using the terminal app I am unable to telnet to either machine:

[localhost:/] root# telnet 192.168.1.100
Trying 192.168.1.100...
telnet: Unable to connect to remote host: Connection refused
[localhost:/] root#

Both machines are on a small lan with a linksys 4-port router/switch and an airport base station for the iBook. Now, I know that I had this capability before the update and I have noticed several other networkish issues such as the apache startup issue as well as a problem with ftp but I haven't tested everything yet.

I beleive that something is wrong with the way the sharing prefs panel is saving it's settings, can I set remote login allow/disallow with netinfo??

Thanks to all.

In 10.1 (as well as some earlier versions of X, I think) you have to use ssh rather than telnet to connect. In your case, you would want to issue the command ssh 192.168.1.100

if you want to enable telnet, which is would NOT reccommend since its totally unsecure, just do a

sudo pico /etc/inetd.conf

and uncomment (take away the #) the line that begins with telnet (line 14 or so). you have to restart inetd by killing it, sudo kill -9 inetd, or restarting your computer.

Uh, I don't think a kill -9 on inetd is a great idea. All you need to do is send it a HUP, which is kill -1 inetd.... Or reboot the machine...

Back