can't unlock with firmware password

SB250

Registered
Hello,

For a strange reason, I can't unlock my computer with my firmware password to reset the PRAM, NVRAM and SMC.

Any ways to reset my password ?

Which Mac model do you have - and how long have you had it?
If your Mac is a model that is less than a year old, you will not be able to reset a forgotten firmware password without assistance directly from Apple. The old method of removing one RAM chip cannot work on those newer models.
http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3554

What version of OS X is installed?

How do you know that you have a firmware password set?
The main reason for a firmware password, is to prevent booting to alternate boot volumes, and also will prevent booting to a DVD installer.
Do you have your OS X installer DVD?

Last edited:
I have an Imac, early 2009.

I have set the firmware password when my OS was on Leopard, with the install DVD as the startup disk. Since then, I have upgraded to Lion OSX 10.7.3. I have created a DVD with the Mac OS X Install ESD package and have booted with this DVD as a startup disk by changing the startup disk in the system preferences.

While trying to reset the PRAM, NVRAM and SMC, I got the lock interface asking for a password. I've entered my firmware password and was rejected. Actually, noting happened. The field got blank again. I'm assuming that the password didn't work since it didn't unlock the access.

Here's how to reset your firmware password:
Remove one RAM stick.
Reset PRAM, continue to hold Option-Command-P and R until you hear the boot chime 2 more times. That will disable the firmware password on your iMac.
Shut down your iMac, and put that RAM stick back in.
Start up, and you will not be bothered by that firmware password.

Note that firmware password is a security issue, as it's very simple to bypass if you have physical access to the Mac.
However, Apple has changed that on the newest Macs, and it's no longer possible for anyone to reset a forgotten firmware password without contacting Apple directly.

Back