Carbonizing

MaC hAcKeR

Not nut cracker!!!
Is it possible to carbonize a classic app without having to write the program over? Classic enviorment is to damn slow, and I wanna make some of my classic apps that are not avalible for OS X... work on OS X... without classic... like carbonizing... heh.
Apple Developer tools? Is there a button i can click to just make the app carbon? Im so lazy... heh.:p
Please... I don't wanna rewrite any apps... too much thinking and learning... wait... i could make some money... hehe...:D

There's no magic button that will Carbonize your Classic applications, but the amount of work you need to do is minimal, involving only a 10-20% rewrite.

Umm... I do that how?
Heh... I have NO expiriance on writing programs... or even double clicking on the Apple Developer Tools... hehe

You also have the source code to these Classic apps? Obviously you'll need it to recompile it as a Carbon app...

Nope, sorry. You'd have to have the source code to the program AND be able to program.

Doug

Carbonizing is rewriting a program to be able to run on MOX. You have to be the original developer to Carbonize a program. You can always write to the developer, but there's no guarantee they will follow up unless there's lots of demand.

I just find it ironic that a guy knowing nothing about programming calls himself "Mac Hacker" ;)

Originally posted by voice-
I just find it ironic that a guy knowing nothing about programming calls himself "Mac Hacker" ;)
Grr... boo... heh.
What I meant by mac hacker was kinda a ResEdit thing... heh. Like "hacks" to the system... not bad ones tho... and this name makes me look bad so I'M TRYING TO GET A NAME CHANGE... but so far, nothing...

Why not get a new account? You're still at the infancy stage, only 118 posts (as of this posting). It wouldn't take too long to build a new name for yourself. For me, it would be almost disasterous, since I've got so many posts. (I don't know why, I think post counts count for something on this board! Help me!)

...anyways, back on topic, to answer Mac Hacker's question in a nutshell, no, there isn't any easy way to carbonize a program to run under OS X. Otherwise, we'd all be using PhotoShop 6 instead of paying for PhotoShop 7 and all the hooplah and bitching about Quark 6 wouldn't have happened.

You CAN carbonize a program yourself, as stated here, but you HAVE to have access to the source code of the program, which, for someone who hasn't programmed in their life, would be like trying to read some alien language. Plus there's 10s of thousands of lines of code just for one program.

Mac Hacker, I do suggest, though, if you are interested in programming and stuff like carbonizing programs and what-not that you take some college-level programming courses. I think you'll get a taste for what goes into making a program, and, for those here who insist on pirating programs because they cost too damn much, they'll see exactly what kind of effort, talent, skill and time go into making a program.

I'm a Computer Science major, learning Java and C++ programming, and it takes me weeks to write simple programs... I'm talking programs with no GUI... just simple data in, data out kind of programs. I wrote one that converts integer numbers into their English counterparts, such as 9,675 is "nine thousand six hundred seventy five" and that nearly drove me insane trying to write that program. Not to mention working out all the bugs once the program was pretty much finished.

I have a newfound respect for the programmers that spend their lives writing programs like PhotoShop... I also have a lot of respect for all the shareware/hobbyist programmers out there. This stuff takes time and a whole lot of know-how and intelligence. It's tough!

Mac Hacker, just take a course or something in college. Go to california for college :D! There's quite a few places that have Macs, and where you learn to program or design :)

Back