CD Drive always reading after sleep

hozomeen

Registered
I have a macbook pro, running os X leopard. whenever i bring it back from sleep the cd drive spins to read what's in it. if nothing is in it it makes 3 rounds of unpleasant noise, then stops. if it's got a cd it spins for a minute or two. is there any way i can stop this? i know it's kind of a picky thing to complain about, but i've switched to mac a week ago and it's the only complaint i have so far : )

Nope, you shouldn't leave cd's in there anyway, that sound is your CD drive waking up like your screen and the rest of the computer.
you can turn it off in the evergy saver preferences.
But its still going to do it everytime you open your screen.
What exactly do you mean by " unpleasant noise" ?

My MacBook also makes a noise from the CD/DVD drive when waking from sleep -- it's perfectly normal, perfectly safe, and no, you can't stop it.

thanks for the responses guys.

jesse714: it's just a grinding-like noise that turns heads in a library. can't really describe it.

so i should remove the cd from the drive every time the mac goes to sleep? why is this?

All macbooks have that grinding noise, mine sounds the same way, its just the DVD drive powering back on, if its what i think mine does, your in the clear.

What do you mean remove the DVD drive? Why would you want to take your macbook pro apart just to remove the dvd drive?

Oh correct, Well i don't know if it actually causes harm, but i have always removed them from my computer, i just don't like the idea of them being in there, and then possibly getting stuck in the DVD drive. I thought you mean't remove your DVD drive each time.

Back