CD-R/CD-RW

ryanhwks35

Registered
Hi,
I've recently been experiencing problems when trying to burn cds. When I insert a blank cd it does not appear on the desktop, finder or in itunes. I've made sure my settings are correct in system preferences but still it doesn't appear. itunes opens but there is no disc displayed and no option to burn. I've been into disk utility and it does acknowledge there is a disc there but the details say its a read only disc. i've tried numerous blank cds so I know it's not a problem with the actual disc. I don't kno what i've done but it seems to be a problem exclusive to my account as the other users account isnt experiencing any of the same problems. If the disc is already inserted when i start up and log in i get a message saying “You have inserted a disc containing no volumes that Mac OS X can read. To continue click ignore” and again, this is the same for any blank cd I insert.
I'm using OS X 10.3.9
Thanks in advance,
Ryan

Can you check Apple System Profiler to see what it says about your CD-burner? You'll find it in /Applications/Utilities ...

I'm not sure if this is the right info you were asking for beacause i'm a bit of a newbie and this was under ATA which doesnt mean a lot to me but I think this seems relevant! It says
ATA-3 Bus:

HL-DT-ST RW/DVD GCC-4480B:

Manufacturer: HL-DT-ST
Model: HL-DT-ST RW/DVD GCC-4480B
Revision: 1.03
Serial Number:
Drive Type: CD-RW/DVD-ROM
Disc Burning: Apple Supported/Shipped
Removable Media: Yes
Detachable Drive: No
BSD Name: disk1
Protocol: ATAPI
Unit Number: 0
Socket Type: Internal
OS9 Drivers: No

Also it now seems all the users on my mac are experiencing the same problem. I also forgot to mention that I only recently updated to itunes 6 and the problem seems to have arisen at the same time although I can't be sure its related

i also recently installed itunes 6, i dont know if it has something to do with my 667 powerpc titanium not being able to read ANYMORE blank cds but it can read all medias with no problem at all....i've tried patchburn but its no help.
:(

O.K. I am not sure if this is software related or hardware related. The first thing you should do is buy a can of compressed air and clean out the DVD drive of dust, etc. Then find and old CD cleaner disk and use that. Then on the software side try to reset your PRM. If none this fixes it then re-download the 10.3.9 Combo Update and re-install that. If none of these steps help, you most likely have a bad drive laser.

Back