Centralizing AddressBook: serving LDAP from my iMac?

michaelsanford

Translator, Web Developer
I'm interested in centralizing my address book services, and I thought it might be neat if I could set up my iMac (10.3.1 *client*) as an LDAP server, and access it over the 'net with my laptop, etc. (I have a dynamic IP addressing service).

Is this possible with Panther? I checked VT and didn't find anything that seemed appropriate.

Also, if LDAP isn't the way to go, but you have another suggestion that will get the job done, I'm open, just please don't suggest .Mac and iSync ::ha::

Thanks!

Looking at stuff Fink has to offer I found this.

Oh, and Fink can be found here.

Not much of an explination, sorry, but I'm in a bit of a rush :eek:

Cool I'll take a look at this.

I'll let you know how it works...

(Actually, Fink was the first place I looked, but when I typed lda... in the search field (FinkCommander) the table emptied, so I assumed there weren't any LDAP servers from Fink.)

I can't configure the OpenLDAP to buid...

Code:
checking Berkeley DB version for BDB backend... no
configure: error: BDB: BerkeleyDB version incompatible

Suggestions?

it looks like OpenLDAP is looking for an installed version of the Berkeley DB to verify the version installed is compatible with the version of OpenLDAP you're trying to compile & install. Glance through the OpenLDAP requirements and figure out which version of Berkley DB is needed to complile & install OpenLDAP then see if you can find a version of Berkley DB that runs on Mac OS X. if you can't find a version of Berkeley DB that runs on Mac SO X then see if you can reconfigure OpenLDAP to use a different DB like MySQL or Postegre that are supported on Mac OS X. i hope this helps!

Thanks for the reply. openLDAP does indeed try to use BDB, but I don't watnt it to. I want it to use the MySQL 4 installation I have on the system. I configured it with -with-sql flag, but it still tries to configure with BDB...

unfortantely i'm OpenLDAP expert so i won't be of much more help. good luck in trying to figure out how to get OpenLDAP to use another DB and if you do figure it out ... PLEASE post how you did it!!!

Back