Challenge: Find a name for the brand new PowerPC

chevy

Marvelous Da Vinci
Staff member
Mod
As shown by our friend bbloke, IBM is launching the 64 bits PowerPC for us.
http://www-3.ibm.com/chips/products/powerpc/newsletter/dec2002/newproductfocus2.html

Try to find the name Apple will use for it !
G5 already has another meaning for server PPC, so we need somethng new (and G5 suggests Pentium... that was basically a 586...)

So, any suggestion for Apple ? (Apple doesn't need our suggestions, I now, but we can try)

Power64 ?

X-trem ?

?

How about X4

except make the 4 a power (superscript) number, which I couldn't do in a browser.

Then you would include both OS X and the 4th generation power chip (which is what I think the 970 is anyway, while still distancing yourself from the G4 enough to show a diference.

I didn't give this much thought

Just and idea

I don't belive they will use the number 4 again for 3 reasons:
1) G4 is already a 4
2) Pentium 4 is also a 4
3) In some chinese countries the number 4 stays for death

Will they need a number ?

What not just a name ? Or a phrase ?

Are there any fast cats that haven't been trademarked yet? :p

They've already used Jaguar, Puma and Cheetah - and that's just for the OS. You could look for other fast animal names, I guess, but I don't think names like 'Greyhound', 'Horse' or 'Bunny Rabbit' are likely candidates.

I'd love to see Apple move away from those numbers, like it does with the i-Products. So:

- eMac
- iMac
- iBook
- PowerBook
- PowerMacintosh
- Xserve

And the processor inside can be: A PowerPC 970.

I don't really see Apple using a name with 64 at the end, because it's getting too close to the Nintendo64, that Nintendo could get pissed off, and that the N64 was old technology (though was it the N64 or the GameCube that IBM made the CPU for?

The advantage of MacOS does mean speed, but convenience.

Windows scrolls fast... so fast that you cannot find what you are looking for. I don't want a fast processor, but a processor just fast enough to digest all what I want it to do.

"Office Eater"
"Pixel Jockey"

?

970th generation processor? that'd be quite off, wouldn't it. :)

*IF* it were to use a 'G' moniker, it'd certainly be a G4-64 or a G5 (although it technically isn't either). Just call it PowerPC 970, what's so difficult about it? :)

(Hey, 1750th post!) :) :) :)

Originally posted by fryke
970th generation processor? that'd be quite off, wouldn't it. :)

*IF* it were to use a 'G' moniker, it'd certainly be a G4-64 or a G5 (although it technically isn't either). Just call it PowerPC 970, what's so difficult about it? :)

(Hey, 1750th post!) :) :) :)

G970 is not difficult... it's just a complete lack of communication. And communication is one of the strenghts of Apple.

When you have one opportunity, you must communicate with your customers, and changing the CPU for a new generation is a major opportunity to communicate in the computer world. Therefore it will be used by Apple.

And the name PowerPC was a good name. It is now old and must be replaced by a newer and better name. A name that fits will Apple strategy: connectivity (Internet and wireless), customer oriented (ease of use, design). Maybe cuddle some target markets (graphics, education, communication). Or tease new markets (games, science, teenagers, women).

Lots of variables... for one name.

I'm surprised no-one has mentioned this yet...

Apple should keep fairly consistent naming guidelines. I think they should use the same naming that they use for software.

apps that everyone uses, they have fairly straight forward names: mail, address book, key chain, etc.

apps targetted at consumers have a slightly different naming convention: iMovie, iTunes, etc.

so,
for the Pro laptops and desktops: cpu
for the consumer laptops and desktops: iCpu

You guys really make some astounding leaps of logic. What, do you guys work in marketing or something? It's quite funny actually.

Previous messages in this thread have indicated that Apple cannot use G5 because it sounds too close to the Pentium. Others have said that Apple can't use 64 because it sounds too close to the Nintendo system. Heck, with that kind of logic, Apple can't even use "Mac" because it sounds too close to a truck line, not to mention a bad fast food burger.

Along those lines, I would love to see people post what is the furthest paranoid reason Apple cannot name something that pops into your head? Really, just go off the deep end. something like,

"Apple can no longer use the name Apple because it sounds too close to the Big Apple and gives people a bad name association with the WTC attack."

As far as the 970 goes, Apple will use G4. After all, it's the same company that still calls the iMac simply iMac, even though the current 800 MHz G4 with the 17" monitor has very little in common with the 233 MHz G3 model that showed up in 1998.

I think it will be G5, not G4. G4 is something thats been around for a while and isn't new or exciting. Since this is a *new* chip, it should be the G5

Xmac! :)

Actually, I like Javintoshes logic. If they used the same naming conventions for the hardware as the software, we would have such wonderful devices as 'Processor, iProcessor and ProProcessor''.

He he ... the new PowerMac, now with the ProProcessor Processor' :p

Back