Challenge: Find a name for the brand new PowerPC

I think the name should have meaning only because of the product. Just like Apple only has meaning in terms of computing because of Apple Computer. Therefor I propose meaningless names, or diminutive but memorable names. These pompous names get so very tiring.

PowerPC Pinto
PPC Geep
Framistan
Neigh
PPC X-970 rev B group 3 lot 19 with 2M cache
PPC with T2-5

Big Mac.
- Really, is McDonald's gonna get mad? No one would confuse a processor with a hamburger. I hope.

Originally posted by chevy
As shown by our friend bbloke, IBM is launching the 64 bits PowerPC for us.
http://www-3.ibm.com/chips/products/powerpc/newsletter/dec2002/newproductfocus2.html

Try to find the name Apple will use for it !
G5 already has another meaning for server PPC, so we need somethng new (and G5 suggests Pentium... that was basically a 586...)

So, any suggestion for Apple ? (Apple doesn't need our suggestions, I now, but we can try)

Power64 ?

X-trem ?

?

The PowerPC "G" Thang! :D

Using Zaquintosh(sp?)'s logic, maybe for the higher and more expensive computers that could be found in large companies etc the Pro64, and for the lower end, such as the iMacs and eMacs simply G5 or G6, because the average Mac consumer are aquainted with the g3/g4. The two names would also emphasize on different things; the Pro64 would work on pushing out large scale things such as Photoshop stuff and renders (along with the graphics card), and the G5 or G6 would focus on fast performance on more everyday things, such as operating system performance and speed in browsing the internet and checking mail, because the general response I get from new Mac users is "it's slow" simply because the Mac processors don't quickly flick to the next site (regardless of internet connection),or at least have a longer delay. These people usually wouldn't generally spend upwards of 3k for a computer ('cept my gf, who's family owns like 10 car dealerships) and would only care moreover for browsing the net etc.

Oh and btw for anyone within the DFW area we pseudo-know each other if you know of the car dealerships Classic Chevorlet and Durant Toyota ;)

Originally posted by Vyper
Oh and btw for anyone within the DFW area we pseudo-know each other if you know of the car dealerships Classic Chevorlet and Durant Toyota ;)

What is DFW ? Dallas Fort Worth ?

I don't know these cities, just seen the names in airports.

DFW may be a name for the new IBM CPU ? "If it ain't from Texas, it ain't great"

I can suggest Taz'

Because the 970 will eat 64 bits when all others only eat 32 ! It will chew it, digest it, and then spit 64 bits... when all others still do it on 32 bits.

"A SMALL GOD"

"X"

"iBurn"

"1001010101001110100101001010100011001101001011"

"iFast"

"Big Mac"

"The Next One"

"G4.1"

"X9"

"The hella fast chip"

"iOwn"

"Ecco"

"007"

ByteRider...

Some know how to manage horses, the PowerPC 970 manages bytes...

Maybe we should name the PPC970 Santa Claus.... we all want it... and we know it does not really exist.

How about they name it the Pentium5; that way people will think it's better than the Pentium 4 and all go and buy macs ^^

Originally posted by Vyper
How about they name it the Pentium5; that way people will think it's better than the Pentium 4 and all go and buy macs ^^

Do you work for Gateway ? :p

Back