Change AOL for MAC Welcome sound to .wav

macgrrrl

Registered
i want to change the welcome greeting on AOL for MAC to one that is not available from AOL. i've done it once before but it took me hours to figure out.

then once i had to call AOL for tech support for a different problem and they made me lose the file and setup by deleting files plus they were helping me as if i had a PC!!! (Rrrrr) now i can't get it back to the welcome sound i want. do you know what files i need to go into to change it again? where do i put the .wav file?

Location of the AOL sound files is /Users/Shared/America Online/Data <latest date>/Sounds
You may have several /Data <x> folders. Use the one with the latest date in the name. You can safely trash other older Data folders. These are added each time you reinstall AOL.
Make a folder, name it something like AOL Custom Sounds, to just leave in the America Online folder so you can easily replace if you need to.

Find the AOL application in your applications folder. Right-Click it, or Control-click it and choose show package contents... then open Contents/MacOS/Online Files/Sounds

Have fun.

EDIT: ... Oops. Apparently DeltaMac and I posted at the same time.... and it seems like his is what you're supposed to do, but my method is actually screwing with the application. Nevermind!

Thank you, Dan. It worked. I think I had so many old AOL files that I was in the wrong one. Thank you for your directions. Happy 4th! :)

DeltaMac said:
Location of the AOL sound files is /Users/Shared/America Online/Data <latest date>/Sounds
You may have several /Data <x> folders. Use the one with the latest date in the name. You can safely trash other older Data folders. These are added each time you reinstall AOL.
Make a folder, name it something like AOL Custom Sounds, to just leave in the America Online folder so you can easily replace if you need to.

Back