Change Movie/TV Location in iTunes

bowjest

Registered
Is it possible (perhaps via an AppleScript) to change where iTunes looks for movies and TV shows without moving the entire iTunes library?

I've recently bought an AppleTV setup and have begun migrating all my DVDs and TV box sets to a 1TB external drive. When I want to watch a movie or TV programme, I'd like to be able to have iTunes automatically pull the show from the plugged in external drive rather than:

a) store all the movies and TV shows on my laptop (taking up space)
b) reconfigure iTunes to migrate my entire iTunes library (music, movies and TV programmes) to the external drive

I found the following link, but can't quite understand if it does what I need or not:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3199025/changing-the-path-to-a-file-in-itunes-with-applescript

Can anyone advise further?

Thanks

Shortcuts work different in OS X than in windows. So use a alias of the folders (/YourHardDrive/Users/YourUserName/Music/iTunes/iTunes Music/TV Shows/ and the folder for Movies called /Movies/. Make an Alias for these folder (with iTunes stopped at that moment) after you moved them to the the external then make an Alias of those folder and move it to the original location is the iTunes Music folder.

If you do it right (with iTunes shut at the time) and make the Alias once the folders have been moved so you can make the Aliases of those moved folders and put those new Aliases in the file's original iTunes Music folder.

This should be easy if you follow the correct steps. Good Luck.

Thanks, Satcomer.

Just to confirm:

1. Shut down iTunes
2. Make and alias of the Movies and TV Shows directories and move these to my external drive
3. Then, once these aliases are on my external drive, make another set of aliases and move these back to the original iTunes directory.

Is this right? I'm not sure I understand.

Thanks,

Bowjest

Satcomer,

Don't worry, I've got it sorted. All seems to be working fine.

Thanks again for your help.

Bowjest

Yep I wanted to make sure once you moved the folders to the external, right click on those two folders 9one at a time) and make an Alias of that folder. Then move that Alias to the location where that folder original was at. This way when iTunes looks for the folder it will follow that Alias (of the said folder) to the external location folder.

Just remember to make a new Alias if you move those folders again to a new Location.

I hope it works for in the long run. Happy to help.

Back