changes since public beta??

J5

certified wanker
Hey all - I just installed 10.1.3 on my powerbook, first time in 10 since the public beta. I was holding out because my ethernet adapter wasn't supported in the beta. It works fine now tho!

Just wondering, I remember the beta having a ton more preferences and options for tweaking the system. Now it seems more fisher-price than ever! Where did all that stuff go??? Also, since I still have the beta, is it possible to install any of the old stuff??

J5

What, specifically, are you talking about that's missing?

I tend to think that 10.1.3 contains a LOT more than the Public Beta did. It runs faster, looks better, and is a lot more compatible with EVERYTHING. Maybe the things you're looking for have been put into different places now...

At any rate, what exactly are you missing from the Public Beta?

fisher-price? huh?
what do you want? command line dos? the matrix? be glad we've got a nice gui ... :D

i'd also love to know exactly what you feel is missing compared to the public beta ...

That's just it - I can't remember!!! I just thought that there were more options with appearance, etc.

One thing I know I want is to be able to turn off anti-aliasing for all text, not just text below 12 point.

Also, I want to change the font used for stuff on the desktop.

I think some of the things I'm missing were on the developers tools cd. I'll have to check that out when I get home.

Aside from all that tho - When I installed, I chose to install onto an existing drive, formatted as hfs+. Are there any benefits to using the unix format instead?

j5

Don't install on a unix partition -- unless you're a unix-guru and really have a definite need for a unix partition. If you're just an avid, experienced Mac user, use HFS+ always. Using a unix partition will cause you a lot of headaches.

If you don't believe me, try it, if you've got the time -- I haven't had the guts or the spare HD space to try it, but I'd love to... file permissions, case-sensitivity, applications screwing up, etc... I've heard it all...

Also, you may be right about the appearance things -- it seems Apple's trying to tighten up on our ability to customize OS X to our own liking in terms of how it looks, but there are several pieces of software out there that will help you regain some of that customizability.

Right on Jadey! I'll check that out tonight!

ElDiablo - I don't think I'm going to test it out, I believe you! One question - I have an aging g3 with a 2 gig drive, so is there any performance/disk space to be gained from going with a unix part?

J5

TinkerTool rocks! I turned off anti-aliasing, and my mac is useable again!!!!!

Wohaa! Before, scrolling thru webpages and such was painfully slow, now it zips right along. Thanks for the link! Anyone know how to change the font of the desktop icons tho?? I managed to change the rest, but the desktop ones I can't figure out.

J5

Back