Changing Desktop Icons.

Reality

Registered
I DL a new neat set of icons but couldn't find anysteps in how to use them. Can someone help me out here? Thanks.

Click the icon, then file>get info
in that window, click the icon then do apple-c to copy.

Click the destination, hard drive or whatever.
Get info on that, select the icon in that window and apple-v to paste it

Hahah, awesome. Now is there folder that has the old icons stored in it so I can change them back anytime in the distant future?

Cool, where is it located?

Oh and here is another thing. I just used one of the new icons but want to change it to something else but the apple-v method isn't working.

Thanks again for all this help.

You don't need to "keep" the old icons; just Clear or Cut (command-x) your custom icon from the file's Get Info window, and the original icon will reappear. :)

Although sometimes you have to log out and back in to see your changes.

-- Steve

Clearing the current icon does not always revert to the previous icon. This only reverts to the _default_ icon, which may or may not be the _original_ icon. (Default is created by the OS) It's just an icon, change it to something you like :)

Originally posted by DeltaMac
Clearing the current icon does not always revert to the previous icon. This only reverts to the _default_ icon, which may or may not be the _original_ icon. (Default is created by the OS) It's just an icon, change it to something you like :)
A subtle but important distinction. I think, however, that my term "original icon" is synonymous with your use of "default icon." :p I never used the term "previous." :D

-- Steve

Originally posted by Reality
I just used one of the new icons but want to change it to something else but the apple-v method isn't working.
You may need to log out and log back in to see the changes.

-- Steve

If you cut or clear the new icon, what you have now is the 'default' or generic icon, which is supplied by the system. If the 'original' icon was a custom icon, then you may not see that one again, only the system default, which may be a generic icon, depending on the type of file. [original post modified to clarify]

Back