Changing my main account to NOT be admin

xuratoth

Registered
Hi,

Like I guess many people new to OSX, I created my main account as an admin account.

Now, after nearly 2 years I have decided that really I ought to listen to the advice of people who know better and change my main account to a standard user.

I suppose the steps are:
1. Using my existing admin account, create a new admin account
2. From within this new admin account, change my existing account to be a standard user

Firstly - is this possible? Is there anything that I should be aware of? Will some things need reconfiguring? Will my standard user account still have access to all the apps, as before (assuming I tick all apps when setting the account)?

Secondly - when I install new s/w, should I do it via my new admin account or via my standard user account?

Thanks.

Howabout just use your existing admin account to create a non-admin account, then log in under the newly-created non-admin account? No need to create an admin account then demote it -- just create the account as non-admin in the first place.

I would recommend installing new software under the admin account -- in fact, I would recommend doing all system maintenance (repairs, installs, upgrades, software updates, etc.) with the admin account when needed, and simply use the non-admin account for daily activities (email, web, etc.).

I _would_ go with the option you suggest, xurathoth. (Since you don't want to create your preferences all over again...) So: Yes, you simply create a new admin user and logged into that new account make your first account a "normal" user account. Everything should basically work as before for the first account. However: Things that need admin access will require you to give OS X the new admin's user name and pw.

Like that, installing software can easily be done from within the non-admin account. When it asks you for admin-permissions, simply enter the admin's short login name and password.

Thanks for the advice guys. Yes, I'd rather not have to go through the process of setting up all my preferences again, hence the approach I suggested.

Back