Changing Trash/Startup sounds

jfvt21

Registered
Sorry if this has already been asked, but I was wondering if anyonre knew a good way to change the system sound in OSX, or at least find the files in the finder and replace them with "fake" ones. I have replaced the alert sound, but I'm getting annnoyed with the sizzling sound the trash makes. Any help/ideas are appreciated.

Thanks
J

try System/Library/Components/CoreAudio.component/Resources/SystemSounds/finder. That has both the move to trash, and the empty trash sound files.

I think the 'sizzling' sound is really meant to be a 'crumpling paper before you throw it out' sound - Ok, then, that should make it sound better! :)

try System/Library/Components/CoreAudio.component/Resources/SystemSounds/finder. That has both the move to trash, and the empty trash sound files.

I think the 'sizzling' sound is really meant to be a 'crumpling paper before you throw it out' sound - Ok, then, that should make it sound better! :)

Thank you so much!
Now instead of the sizzling/crumpling, Strongbad will yell "BA-LETED" every time I move something to the trash. Ah... so satisfying.

how do you access system files? long time pc user, fairly new mac user with plenty of use on mac's but no tweaking experience. is there a good program out there that will alter those buried system sounds? thanks.

how do you access system files? long time pc user, fairly new mac user with plenty of use on mac's but no tweaking experience. is there a good program out there that will alter those buried system sounds? thanks.

If you're looking for the system soinds like I was, just go to where DeltaMac said, then show the contents of the file (.pkg or whatever) then replace the files with the same name, type, etc.

Umm, I would like to do this too, but my "Components" file is empty, and I see no way of reaching a "CoreAudio" file via right clicking. I get 5 options, none of which are "Show Package Contents." help?

The path to those system sounds (this is for Snow Leopard)
hard drive, then: /System/Library/Components/CoreAudio.component/Contents/Resources/SystemSounds
The trash sounds are in the finder folder that you find in that SystemSounds folder.

The path is the same in Leopard. I don't have an older system to check on Tiger or any older system.
If your Components folder is empty, then you are not in the System/Library folder.

ok, found it. Thanks! How does the computer know which file is the empty trash noise? Do I put the .aif file I want in there, then title it "empty trash.aif"?

The startup sound is stored in ROM with the Openfirmware. THe only way to change it is to flash the rom which is shit dangerous. there is a program called startupsound that is based around a simple script of lowering volume to nil when closing down, and up when you login. However, this wll not work when you force shutdown your computer (the shutdown scripts were not activated....).

Back