Charging my iPod whilst abroad

AgentOrange

Registered
I may be being daft here but I'm having huge problems charging my iPod whilst on a four month trip. Up until now I've been using a min-solar panel, (I'm a bit of an environmentalist see), but now the weather has turned I'm having to use computers to charge it.
The problem is I only bought the USB computer cable that came with wifey's nano and that doesn't appear to work. Is it because my iPod is a Mac one & I'm plugging it into PCs?

I know someone who charged their iPod video with a USB cable connected to a barely-alive (broken screen) laptop, iTunes wasn't even installed. If you're not getting a charge, either the cable is bad, or the USB port does not have enough power (get a powered USB hub).
Then again, I don't have much experience with the old iPods, but still, it should work with a nano cable.

AgentOrange said:
I may be being daft here but I'm having huge problems charging my iPod whilst on a four month trip. Up until now I've been using a min-solar panel, (I'm a bit of an environmentalist see), but now the weather has turned I'm having to use computers to charge it.
The problem is I only bought the USB computer cable that came with wifey's nano and that doesn't appear to work. Is it because my iPod is a Mac one & I'm plugging it into PCs?
Your wife's got a nano, but... what kind of iPod do you have?

that's a 3G iPod - and it _should_ charge through USB if I remember correctly... Try another port on another computer etc.? ...

AgentOrange said:

The Nano will charge with a pc if it is macintosh formatted why dont you buy a charger I have a Capdase charger and I have no problems with a nano, min and 5G ipod video. Also they come with 4 plugs.

It's not the nano I'm trying to charge. It's my older 3G iPod. The cable is from the nano. I would buy another charger but we only have a fortnight of our trip left and it hardly seems worth it. So, to recap, a 3G iPod that's Mac formatted should charge fine in a PC USB port with a cable from a Nono?

I know you are into the whole solar thing, but why not just get the USB power adapter and the world wide adapter kit (comes with plugs for MANY different countries and the power conversion is done in the adapter it self)

AgentOrange said:
It's not the nano I'm trying to charge. It's my older 3G iPod. The cable is from the nano. I would buy another charger but we only have a fortnight of our trip left and it hardly seems worth it. So, to recap, a 3G iPod that's Mac formatted should charge fine in a PC USB port with a cable from a Nono?
I'm assuming this has something to do with the Nano's USB cord, and not the computer. The newer iPods are not compatible with older FireWire dock connectors -- perhaps this is some kind of "forward incompatibility" with the nano's USB dock connector cord...

I have found a website www.ncspower.com that sells an external battery charger/external battery that will charge the internal batter and also extend play for up to 20 hours. Maybe this will help you charge your iPOD abroad.

My friend has the same generation iPod for PC and it does not charge when connected to PC. In fact it drains the power. She has to charge it using a dock and plugging it in to a mains supply.

I have a 3Gen as well and I am fairly confident it will only charge via Firewire or one of the specialized chargers. I'm betting the problem is that you are trying to charge via USB. If I'm not mistaken, the 3Gen was a transition model with later versions being capable of both Firewire and USB but early versions being Firewire only.

Back