Charging the iPod

Esquilinho

Registered
I'm thinking about buying a new iPod video, but a questionnow came to my mind:
As far as I know (I think I saw it on the Apple site), the iPod is charged via USB.
Is this the only way? Because if it is, it's pretty stupid! This means I can't charge my iPod if I don't have a computer around!

One of the uses I was thinking about was to load the iPod with some movies when I go away on holiday. But I don't have a computer in the house where I'm staying! So basically, I would only be able to see one movie before the battery ran out! Great! :confused:

There is a Power Adapter available from Apple for charging the iPod, or, for significantly less money (but a much less elegant solution) is to get a powered USB hub and plug the iPod into it.

no, it sounds as though all you need is the power adaptor. a standard apple power-brick with a usb slot in it.

Is there a way to stop the iPod from charging when you plug it in to the USB drive? Just that, while convenient, I don't really want my iPod's battery to be "topped up" every time I plug it in to update the songs.

AFAIK the best way to get the longest life out of a battery is to let it drain to 0%, then charge it back to 100%, rather than using it until 50%, then topping it up a bit, then using it a bit more, and so on.

not so on ipods, and anything that uses Li-On batteries. top-up charging is the most efficient way to charge Li-On.

Yep -- gotta agree with Major Burns here -- letting the battery on the iPod drop to 0% then fully-charging it will shorted the battery life considerably.

Your best bet is to keep the battery topped off all the time, and let it drain all the way to 0% only once every month or so. Letting it drain to 0% every time you use it without topping it off in-between will shorten the battery life and is not the way Lithium-Ion batteries are meant to be used.

aah that's good to know. I've been misinformed. Everyone seems to have their own theory when it comes to batteries, I guess a lot of opinions are left over from pre-lithium-ion days when batteries were harder to take care of.

thanks guys, that's a relief :)

I have a problem and you all seem smart!
I have an external discwriter and i use iDVD on my projects. How do you burn your idvd project to the external burner? (i've tried just pressing burn and it didn't work

I have a BIG problem. I have an external disc burner and I use iDVD for my projects. How do I burn it on that program using an external burner. (I already tried just pushing burn- it didn't work :(:( )::sleepy::

not entirely sure why you chose to post the question in a thead about iPod battery but here goes :p

INSTRUCTIONS BELOW REQUIRE iDVD 5

iDVD won't let you burn to an external drive from within that application, but it can be done. What you need to do is when you have finished your iDVD project, instead of clicking burn, go to File > Save as a Disc Image. Then choose somewhere to save the file and click OK.

WHen you chose that, the Menu and assets will encode as normal, but at the end of it you will have a .img file that will need to be burnt manually to a disk.

To burn the IMG file you will need an application capable of burning them, such as Toast:

If you have Toast installed, launch it, and click on "copy" tab at the upper-right. Then select "image file" and click on the "Select" button. Find the IMG file you created, select it, then click OK. Burn the disc as normal.

Back