Chat Online -- About MacWorld & More!

Whats interesting, it seems that in the past, when it was NOT streamed, it was because they had no major products to announce. But, I could be wrong.

I'm starting to worry that we're going to see a lot of very unhappy Mac fans around in the next few days. My suspicion is that of the many rumors circulating, most will turn out to be untrue, exagerated, or just not ready for release at the time of the Keynote.

My biggest concern, and one I feel this will prove true, is that the $499 mac will turn out to be a $699 mac - and even if it represents unbelievable value for money and is worth its weight in gold, all we'll hear is people whining about the pricetag.

Hehe... so how would that be different from any other MacWorld Expo? ;)

It's the same year after year... rumors circulate, people talk, MacWorld Expo happens, people are slightly disappointed but mostly overall pleased with the new products.

well there are confirmed last minute rumours of updated g4 powerbooks, (1.5ghz-1.67ghz)

a flash ipod(no screen)

these last minute rumours allways turn out to be true :) coming from ppl at the event who have heard or taken a peak at ads of the anouncements :)

these 2 are enough to make the keynote important :)

add in the release of iWork... (if true) .. and it gets really serious :)

soulseek said:
well there are confirmed last minute rumours of updated g4 powerbooks, (1.5ghz-1.67ghz)

a flash ipod(no screen)

these 2 are enough to make the keynote important :)
:confused: :confused: :confused:

No they aren't.

Worst PB rumour I could imagine - the tiniest speed bump, video card bump and a bluetooth upgrade. I'd be shocked if this got more than a 20 second mention in the keynote.

A flash iPod with no screen? Kind of kills one of the biggest advantages of the iPod (i.e. superior user interface/usability). I'll wait until after the keynote though before trashing this too much.

Kap

symphonix said:
My biggest concern, and one I feel this will prove true, is that the $499 mac will turn out to be a $699 mac - and even if it represents unbelievable value for money and is worth its weight in gold, all we'll hear is people whining about the pricetag.

Yes, all points of that would be extremely consistent with past behavior.

Of course, the whining will be for good reason =)

ScottW said:
Whats interesting, it seems that in the past, when it was NOT streamed, it was because they had no major products to announce. But, I could be wrong.

I worried about the same thing, till I thought about it a bit. Why, if they don't have much to release @ the Expo, did they release the upgraded Xserves last week somewhat quietly? Would have made more sense to wait a week or two and announce it at the Expo to at least make it look like they've been busy.

I'm wondering if it doesn't have to do with bandwidth concerns. Maybe all the 'excited' rumors have caused the fear of an overflow for the live broadcast. Maybe they're announcing something that they're worried will get out too quickly and their sites will be mobbed by the faithful trying to get their hands on it or information about it. Remember what happened when they announced Safari?

Maybe they're announcing that G5 powerbook (sorry, gotta hope). Maybe something else, who knows. It could turn out to be a very good year... <G>

In another thread, someone said maybe Apple is releasing Quicktime 7 and Quicktime 7 is required to view the stream. Interestingly, a 6 hour window would allow people to download quicktime and install it... and you have that surge... and then you have the stream, another surge?!

I figure there is an OBVIOUS reason for a 6 hour delay.

With those spiffy new Xserves, I think Apple can handle all the bandwidth the Internet can throw at them. :)

Last year's Keynote's live stream kept cutting out on me, it was just impossible to watch (on a 3 Mb/s connection). But the archived stream ran fine.

Symphonix said: "My biggest concern, and one I feel this will prove true, is that the $499 mac will turn out to be a $699 mac - and even if it represents unbelievable value for money and is worth its weight in gold, all we'll hear is people whining about the pricetag."

People _always_ whine about Apple. Apple could release an iPod 80 GB now for 100$ and they'd say it's too white or something... ;)

You use an IRC client.
X-Chat works well.X-Chat

Use EFnet under Networks.
Add a Server - irc.choopa.net
Join channel - #macosx.com

Back