CherryOS: Yet another Mac OS on PC emulator

I read their site. Was full of typoes. _If_ they can achieve this and it _does_ run at 80% of the host's speed, I'll buy a 3 GHz machine soon to act as my Mac OS X Panther Server... 50 USD certainly isn't too much for such a software. However: Until any positive reviews are in, I think this is just a hoax. 80%? Too good to be true.

If the apps rely on Altivec, technically it's impossible for it to run at 80% performance compared to the Mac.

why would any1 wanna run OS X on a PC ??? u gotta be sick.
if u want the job done right get a mac !!!

soulseek said:
why would any1 wanna run OS X on a PC ??? u gotta be sick.
if u want the job done right get a mac !!!

well i have a mac desktop, but a pc notebook...i'd love to has osx on the notebook...

getting a mac notebook isn't an option for me.

FYI - I contacted these folks to request a copy to do a story on it. They said that a DEMO version would be available, along with the shopping cart in the next few days. Apparently, they underestimated Slashdot.org and are moving to new server space.

I am with many of you, questionable at best that this really works. But, willing to give it a try and review it as soon as possible.

I've never been happy with emulators. I mean, go for something that needs low requirements like a Super Nintendo game SNES9X is fine, but something like an OS never runs like it's supposed to. Hell, Virtual PC still runs like absolute crap.

I don't believe for a second that it could run at 80% speed...

Yes, there are typos all through their site, and very big problems with the server.

Even more interesting is that they have "Customer Feedback" statements on their homepage telling us how much they benefit from using the product ... interesting since the product was only released today!

And anyone who claims that you can benefit from the "superior speed of PCs" clearly has no concept of what it is they are marketing. There's also no real info in the form of whitepapers or FAQs, and I have yet to see a screenshot. And I have to wonder about a company that posts the message "... also someone is trying to hack us! Please try again later." on their site.

The company behind it has only one prior product, and that is a little-used video codec that I hadn't even heard of before.

I expect this will be a shoddy repackaging of Pear and/or VMware that simply doesn't work. I also wouldn't be surprised if it turns out to be a hoax.

I've been researching this on SlashDot and a few other forums and can now say with *reasonable* confidence that this is a HOAX.

The software *is* PearPC, repackaged, and the proprietor behind this software is apparently posting supportive comments on a number of forums under various aliases.

I think these clowns should be sued by the Open-Source advocacy groups for such a gross abuse of the open-source license.

I have been doing my research as well. In fact, I found a download link for the demo client, and all it was, was a Windows command line ZIP file. Granted, it may be a place holder file, but still.

What is really interesting on the whole thing... is that it never really "shows" it in action. If it is "so fast" as they say, why not show it in action. Even if it is SLOW, show it in action. Having it BOOT doesn't really prove anything.

I was quite surprised to get a response from them so quickly, but I was equally surprised they didn't seem interested in the publicity that, if indeed this was REAL, they would want in a serious way.

They are also the makers of some PDF2HTML software, I think it's on mbloom.com (using memory only).

How this all unfolds should be interesting non-the-less.

ScottW said:
FYI - I contacted these folks to request a copy to do a story on it. They said that a DEMO version would be available, along with the shopping cart in the next few days. Apparently, they underestimated Slashdot.org and are moving to new server space.

I am with many of you, questionable at best that this really works. But, willing to give it a try and review it as soon as possible.

http://apple-x.net/modules.php?op=m...=article&sid=1143&mode=thread&order=0&thold=0

im sure ure dissapointed that the guys at applexnet even got an interview while u got nothing. it seems that they are important...
but then again they dont make any false predictions on iBox, iPods etc...

ANyways back on topic. in the interview they mention that a 3.2Ghz pentium is equivalent to a 900mghz G4....now even if that was true... it seems rather pathetic :)

Ah, we should just stop even looking at the project until some user reviews are in (which I expect will happen when hell freezes over...).

im sure ure dissapointed that the guys at applexnet even got an interview while u got nothing. it seems that they are important...
but then again they dont make any false predictions on iBox, iPods etc...

soulseek

Read the article. They thought they were giving an interview to someone at Apple.

UPDATE: So I decided to call these guys and ask them what was really going on. I talked to an unidentified woman first; she handed it off promptly to their press contact, Jim Kartes, who seemed to get the idea that I was from Apple Computer, not Apple-X.net. Oh well.

Apple Computer, Inc.
Software License Agreement for Mac OS X
Single Use License

2. Permitted Use and Restrictions
A. This license allows you to install and use one copy of the Apple software on a single Apple-labeled computer at a time.

Back