CherryOS: Yet another Mac OS on PC emulator

But I'm sure _if_ people could run OS X at decent speeds on their cheapo PCs, they wouldn't care about these license issues. They also wouldn't bother to buy a box. They'd download an ISO from the same source they take their MP3z from. And that'd hurt Apple, of course. But first, again: Where there's just hot air, there's no software. Right now.

From the research performed by several people so far, it's very likely that the "demo" versions of CherryOS have actually been modified versions of PearPC. There's fairly compelling evidence of this (so essentially he'd be charging $50 for the nice installer, wizard, and UI improvements).

If true, this probably means it's a hoax to the extent that: Claimed "80%" speeds are **extremely** unlikely, as even with major architectural improvements the PearPC team believes it will only improve to 10% efficiency, the "not using any PearPC code" claim by the author is false, that they'll be violating copyrights if they don't return source code to the community, etc.

I personally hope that the claims are true. I've seen too many of these kind of out-of-the-blue, too-good-to-be-true softwares to believe it (anyone remember the fractal compression stuff back in 1990 that was supposed to allow you to back up your 100MB hard disk to a 720KB floppy? And even seemed to work? Yeah, hoax =), though it's probably not an outright scam.

Heh... Ripcord, that brings back memories of the days of DOS 3.3 and a "fad" that actually worked -- it allowed the new generation of PCs with 3.5" floppy drives to format a standard 1.44MB floppy disk to 2.88MB -- and it worked. You could even read the disks on other computers, as I did many times.

CherryOS, unfortunately, is guilty until proven innocent in this case. You can't make bold claims and fail to back them up. Give us the demo software if it's really that good and we'll see for ourselves how well it performs.

I wonder how many remember buying single-hole punches just so we could add an extra "notch" to turn those "single-sided" 5 1/4" floppies into "double-sided". Hey, from 180K to 360K, for half the price!

80% speed is a joke. emulation of any kind couldn't reach that mark.

if it really uses 80% cpu power I will eat my dirty right sock! :)

even if all this is true it would never go far as apple legal would have it snuffed.

From what I've read around the web, it seems that this may turn out to be a hoax -- a repackaged PearPC that doesn't live up to expectations. It seems that it may be a ploy to get people to visit their website to "beta test" their streaming video application. If you notice, their video for CherryPC is some sort of Java application -- apparently, written by the same guy that packaged CherryPC.

What a scam! False advertising in order to test their media server's load capacity and whatnot. I doubt we'll be seeing any more of CherryPC, and, if we do, I think it will never live up to its claims.

...and yeah, I remember those punch devices for 5 1/4" floppies... hehe... pay $10 for a pack of 5 180k floppies, or pay $15 for a pack of 5 180k floppies and a double-sided punch... if only something like that existed today to turn 4.7GB DVD-Rs into double-sided DVD-Rs!

From http://starbulletin.com/2004/10/15/news/index2.html

Kryeziu says he is not worried.

"Our lawyers have looked at this and say we're in the clear. We wrote this from scratch and we're clean as a whistle," he said.

I can't see that this could POSSIBLY be true, considering the fact that had they EVER made it work, which their manual (which is shoddy at best) implies, they've breached their Mac OS X End-User Licensing Agreement?

Back