chimera 0.2 (kind of) released

googolplex

jeff.hume.ca
Check out chimera.mozdev.org/installation.html and you will see that 0.2 was released, but the binaries have been removed because the server couldn't handle the traffic.

I want to try it, but I'm not at home and not at a mac. :(

I went to the site, but saw no indication that it'd ever been available. . .. :(

"Installation
The newest build is 0.2.0. I've had to remove the binary because mozdev simply can't handle the traffic. Once I get it moved to a site with more bandwidth, I'll post the new link. "

homer, go to cache in your browser and set it to update every time you browse a site, then it should be fine and you should see Chimera 0.2 released

Very weird. I had the browser set to check whenever the page is different. I would think it should have caught it. Good call...

I'd go and compile it if you didn't have to first compile Mozilla and some other program, which would take waaaaaayyyyy too long :(

The Quartz rendering is very cool, and the ioverall look of the app (icons, buttons, etc.) is very clean.

posted w/ Chimera 0.2

OK. The antialiased text is a start.

But DANG is typing in text fields slow!!!!! The text often has to catch up to me, what with me typing with the dvorak keyboard layout.

Sheesh! It's REALLY slow!!!

Anyway. Things like buttons and text fields and radio buttons still don't look as good as OmniWeb. But it still seems to be very fast.

OK, enough of this stupid slow text field stuff! I'm back to OmniWeb. Just this makes it unusable!!!

---- ABOVE POSTED WITH NAVIGATOR, BELOW WITH OMNIWEB ----

OK, that text field thing really really annoyed me. Chimera, at 0.2, is still unusable. Sorry gplex and others. :rolleyes:

I also would've liked the creators to do an approach like OmniWeb when displaying webpages -- display the things as you get them, not when it's all finished. That way if there's one resource holding them all up, you can still start reading.

One other thing I need to rant about. The size. OmniWeb is _23_ megabytes for _17_ languages, while Navigator is 25 megabytes for only _1_ language. OmniWeb is smaller and has more languages!! OmniWeb with only English is something like 13 MB.

Well, I can't say that I was all that impressed, just because of that text field thing. I guess it still has a long way to go. But judging at the reactions that the progress Chimera was getting and the rants about 0.2, I seemed to get the feeling that Chimera 0.2 was going to be the end-all-be-all of web browsers on OS X. But it isn't.

can you stop focusing on the negatives and look at how great it is that we have quartz rendering that is fast and renders most everything really well? Things will be fixed in time stop this un-neaded bashing!

:D

Yes, the antialiased text is nice. I agree.

But that seems to be the only jump over 0.13.

Like I said above:

Judging by all your postings about Chimera, gplex, I got the feeling that Chimera 0.2 would be the end-all-be-all of browsers. But it isn't, so I'm disappointed.

sim, i never said 0.2 would be the be all and end all browser. I just thought its a big stepingstone with quartz. Do you not understand what 0.2 software is? Omniweb is at 4.1! Its obviously going to be more polished and have more features.

There are more jumps over 0.1.3 as well. Such as new icons, preferences and better tab control (closing tabs, cycling between tabs). It was going to have plugin support, but some of the developers were taking time with mozilla v1.0. Software just doesn't appear and become amazing overnight. Stop ranting about all the things it needs . I'm sure that they know all of that stuff. And if they don't please file a bug. Can't we look at everything that they have done already by a 0.2 version!!

Why do all threads mentioning mozilla or navigator or netscape all turn into bash fests or a bunch of arugments. Its very annoying that I can't start or contribute to one of these threads without constantly defending my position!!

My quick review:

Well, I can't seem to click in the "subject" section of the this form. I'm not sure why. I am able to type faster than the browser is able to keep up but just barely. I would be surprised if this was an issue for very many people. I am a faster than average typist.

I can't get into the anti-aliased text. I guess it's ok but it mostly looks fuzzy to me. I've always felt the same way about omniweb.

I like to highlight the text as I read it. I noticed that doesn't consume 100% of the CPU like IE and MOZ do.

As I type this I notice that the cursor doesn't always seem to be in front of the text. That is bothering me.

I don't care very much about the look of the browser. I can't relate to peole who do (ok, now my typing is getting way ahead of the browser) but I have noticed that this browser is pretty. (still don't care) For example, the slide bar on this text box is a blue oval.

Anyway, it's a nice browser. I'm going to give it an extended chance to become my default.

Vanguard

It turns into this because I'm trying to convey to people it's usability, not it's potential, and you seem to think I'm bashing Chimera needlessly!

We all know that Chimera could become a browser that's light years ahead of OmniWeb. But at 0.2, it's not.

Yes, antialiased text is very nice.

Yes, preferences (although only one of the tabs works) are nice!

Yes, the new icon is nice.

Yes, the new tabbing control is nice.

But I'm still waiting for text fields that don't have to catch up to you.

gplex, I'm a practical guy. Yes, I do have dreams, but having a perfect browser is not really one of them. I like to use one browser, go to the webpages that I regularly visit, respond to some postings, and then go do something else. It's really that simple. But Navigator 0.2 doesn't allow me to do that, so that's why I'm stating it here.

The question is, why do I always have to defend my position?

Can we expect it to get slower as it comes closer to 1.0 release? Or will it maintain its great speed?

Can someone post some screenshots? I don't have a Mac right now :( and would like to at least see what I'm missing.

sim, Because you or someone else always starts and arguement in one tof these threads. I'm not saying its finished. Sorry that my first post didn't warn people about that, I thougt that maybe 0.2 gave it away...

I dont even use it as my default browser. Omniweb is in that position!! Can both of us stop littering up these threads with arguements and maybe have some nice disscussion and reviews like vanguard.

vanguard, very nice and fair review.

:)

P.S. sim, I'm not madat you just a little annoyed :D

(Hmm, I can click in the subject box now)

How do I get my mozilla bookmarks and cookies into Chimera? I can't seem to where chimera stores them.

Thanks in advance,
Vanguard

PS FWIW, I didn't think anybody was being harsh. I thought simx gave it a try and said it wasn't for him. Furthermore, he seemed to say that he would try it again in another version if he continues to hear nice things. No problems.

Back