Chimera browser is available for d/l!

ThE OutsiDer

Registered
http://chimera.mozdev.org/

Its freaking fast, bit buggy like has troubles with copy/paste thats not from finder mena but in shortcuts, cant enter text in text fields when loging into forums and I cant get 2 button support so no tabs yet.

I like it though, as I use mozzilla.

This thing is amazing. Don't you love cocoa.

Also I read on their newgroup that they found a bug in it and the next build they make should be 33% faster! This thing kills in speed.

One thing that is annoying is that you can't type in a textfield in a webpage yet... but that should be fixed.

for a VERY early Alpha build. Rendering of web pages works (mostly), but drop down menus, text fields etc. don't work yet.

Speed is very impressive, esp. for an Alpha, and esp. since the developer said the next build will be 33% faster. Wow.

Scrolling is terrible right now, but from the info. gathered from the mailing list, they haven't implemented all the Cocoa widgets yet, so that probably has a lot to do with it.

One pet peeve that I'm not sure if it will be addressed... It uses the same button widgets (like Submit, Reset, etc.) that Mozilla uses, which look butt ugly. The thing I love about OmniWeb is these widgets are fully aquafied and gorgeous. I hope they can fix this at some point.

All in all, a great start!

The webpages widgets are suppose to go aqua once they hook them up. Also the scrollbars use XUL for rendering right now, they will use cocoa soon.

This could very well be the killer browser.

Originally posted by iamnotmad
I am very excited about this browser!

See, not only is he 'notmad' but he's actually excited!

I downloaded Chimera, and can see the glint of something very powerful.

It is by no means ready so if you're a newbie to OS X expecting an IE killer this afternoon it won't be in the form of Chimera.

In two months though...

*twyg walks away, and as soon as he turns the corner you hear someone screaming 'YEAH! GO Chimera, GO Chimera. No more IE for me!'*

How could anyone forget to mention that web pages look JUST AS BUTT UGLY as in Internet Explorer??

No thanks.... after using OmniWeb, I've become spoiled at how it can make even gross web pages look halfway decent. I couldn't stand to go back to web pages that look like that. XP Waiting 2 more seconds for MacOSX.com to load is a fair price to pay for good looks.

no scott, i have a vendetta against helping aol. If apple were to start supporting some particular build and enhance it to make it proprietary, then i would support that build. but since aol is who profits most from mozilla, then i don' twant to use it. and i just want to make sure people understand that helping aol is what they are doing when they use it. aol users should all be using mozilla just to help themselves in the long run. of course they would help themselves more by getting a new isp, but that's another story.;)

i'm not going to argue with you ed. but all i'll say is that this is far from supporting aol because its not even going to be used by netscape/aol.

I'd really appreciate it if you lose the sarcastic "you'll be sorry" tone :) And stop spoiling the party!

point me to the place that says this is hands off to netscape and i will delete both my posts in this thread:confused:

Sure they could use it. But microsoft could to. Because its open source. You seem to like open source but then you think that if a company uses it its horrible. I bet you that more people use Mozilla then Netscape 6.

I think we should start a whole section for emotional/political/ethical debates so we can keep it out of threads about a new web browser.

Take it outside boys.

Good idea. We should talk about how damn cool this browser is instead of who might possibly use it in the future. But if the issue is brought up I feel that I should argue against it so people don't get the wrong impression.

I downloaded it. Very fast loading pages (very.) Still an awful lot of it not working though.

Its only been around for about 2 weeks with only two developers working on it. Cut them some slack :). They are doing an amazing job!

Wow, it's fast :)
Great job for the time it's been worked on, but could use some scrollwheel support and better scrolling :)

Back