Chimera hits 0.28

serpicolugnut

OS X Supreme Being
Dave comes through with another build!

Here's what's new...

Autocomplete has been implemented in the URL bar.

The Go menu has been implemented, so that you can now go back and forward multiple steps.

Bookmarks menus (in the menu bar and personal toolbar) now have icons.

Downloads can still only be initiated using Option+Click or the context menu, but they will now at least show progress.

The status bar now has a security indicator.

Prefs panels are starting to trickle in.

Plugins have gotten some tweaks and fixes.

The Toggle Sidebar button crasher (from customizing the toolbar) has now been fixed.

What's New (0.2.6 -> 0.2.7) You can now drag the page proxy icon from the URL bar

If you go to the Chimera site, he says they released it because of all the rumors floating around. It's anyone's guess. . . .

Apparently my consipracy theory (which was echoed by the Register and several other sites) prompted Dave to get this build out before his vacation. Whatever the reason, it's a much welcomed release.

Autocomplete works great (and man - is it fast!), we finally have a progress indicator on downloads (although you still have to rt.click or option click and do a "Save As", icons in the favorites menu, and improved plugin support. Also, another thing I noticed - ESPN.com would not load any subpages in previous Navigator builds. In 0.28, the site loads just fine.

At the current rate of development, this browser will eclipse all others in 6 months (it already eclipses them in speed and stability)...

Originally posted by serpicolugnut
At the current rate of development, this browser will eclipse all others in 6 months (it already eclipses them in speed and stability)...

I agree with you on the speed, but stability is another matter. Chimera's the only browser that's crashed on me anytime recently, just a little while ago, actually. :rolleyes:

I'm not saying it's crash proof, but compared with IE and OmniWeb, it's the most stable of the bunch on my Macs (see below). It's just about as stable as Mozilla, which is THE most stable browser I've used so far under OS X.

I'm not saying it's crash proof, but compared with IE and OmniWeb, it's the most stable of the bunch on my Macs (see below). It's just about as stable as Mozilla, which is THE most stable browser I've used so far under OS X.

0.2.8 is the only browser I've had crash by clicking the Back button. Otherwise, it's great.

still can't get rid of the bookmarks bar. looks ugly. back to real browsers. :p

0.2.8 is the only browser I've had crash by clicking the Back button. Otherwise, it's great.

IE is the only app that I've had crash when it was doing NOTHING. It was just sitting there with a blank page, when all of a sudden it crashed, and then took down the entire system via a kernel panic. Go figure.

OmniWeb crashes on me more than any other application. I can get about 10-15 minutes of surfing in before the bomb hits.

The Mozilla Bros. are the most stable of the bunch right now...

I wish they would add auto-complete in the menu that drops down when the toolbar is hidden and you hit Apple-L.

OmniWeb crashes on me more than any other application. I can get about 10-15 minutes of surfing in before the bomb hits.
Weird. I've had OW crash on me twice -- once when clearing out my Trashmail, er, Hotmail account and selecting all messages, once when I had waaay too many windows open. (About 25 IIRC)

But then again, I don't go to a lot of intensive websites (it's dial-up, why would I want to download 23542 flash animations to browse?).

But then again, I don't go to a lot of intensive websites (it's dial-up, why would I want to download 23542 flash animations to browse?).

That's the kicker - OW usually crashes on very simple pages. There seems to be no rhyme or reason as to what causes it. I used to use the crash reporter religously, but after I switched email clients to Entourage, I stopped, due to some wierd bug between Entourage and OW's Crash Reporter that would get stuck in an endless loop of crashing and starting up.

OK, just plain bizarre. Then again, Chimera crashes on my system about as fast as it loads pages. "Here's a page *crash*" *restart* "Here's another page *crash*"....

Crash:

Apple-W to close browser window. Click on Navigator icon, and then hit Apple-N to bring up a new one. Boom on my machine.

Apple-W to close browser window. Click on Navigator icon, and then hit Apple-N to bring up a new one. Boom on my machine.

When I follow those steps, I don't get a crash, but I get the Spinning Cursor of Death, and have to force quit Navigator.

Make sure you log it in the bug reports over atChimera Home Page

Testing... testing... testing...

OK, I really question developers that can't do something as little as fixing the SPEED OF TYPING IN TEXT FIELDS.

Really. Seriously. I don't need to file a bug report for this, and I'm still typing a millimeter a minute and Chimera can't keep up. That's so stupid.

And you can't download files by SINGLE clicking on the link? What is this? A WINDOWS application?

Enough of this browser. I feel that this is probably going to be the next Netscape of browsers -- focusing on features that are close to unnecessary for most people and ignoring those features that are critical. That's quite unfortunate, because I have to admit it is one of the faster browsers out there.... wait, I take that back. I've, like, typed this whole sentence already and it takes me about 15 seconds to watch Chimera finish typing it on the screen.

serpi: I don't know what's wrong with your computer, but I have browsed using OmniWeb for well over 15 minutes without it crashing. It's as stable as a rock, even more so than Chimera and IE... GOD DAMNIT I HATE WATCHING MY COMPUTER TYPE LIKE THIS. It gets even slower when there is more text in the text field.

Back to a REAL browser. I don't even know why I bother with Chimera. What a joke.

Back