Chimera hits 0.28

Remind me to send you guys a picture of me yawning. :p

BTW-The slowness has to be the conversion of Moz html to Cocoa(whatever method it may use). If I type like a madman into the location field (Cocoa text entry field) it keeps up perfectly. Just my $0.02. Yes it is very annoying, but I suspect it will be resolved by 0.3 ;)

Originally posted by fryke
1.) Some Answers

Well, that's an explanation of why it's slow now. It also fits the name 'chimera' very much. From Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary (1913): "1. (Myth.) A monster represented as vomiting flames, and as having the head of a lion, the body of a goat, and the tail of a dragon. ``Dire chimeras and enchanted isles.'' --Milton."

2.) About The Heat

All those browser threads are getting way out of hand. Developers calling themselves experts. What do *I* care? SimX is right: Text boxes should plainly work. It's *nice* that Chimera has some speed, but it's just as I've said when it first popped up: It's gonna take a long, long time until it becomes a real alternative. Browsing fast is one thing, the interface is at least as important. Chimera is - right now - what the name says (see 1.)): A multi-headed monster.

3.) Browser Wars, Browser Choices

It's good to have choices. For the consumer, browser wars are good. We're getting better browsers, right? These discussions however are getting on my nerves, although I *too* like to push my choices (OW rocks). Can we agree on the following? -> All current browsers for OS X have something going for them. Mozilla is opensource and has good standards compliancy, IE has advanced features and standards compliancy, OW is a good Cocoa application with many advanced features and Chimera has shown that speed is possible.

It's not Chimera anymore, it's navigator!!!! j/k

Actually, it's more like the head of Cameron Diaz, the body of Jennifer Walcott, and the ass of Jennifer Lopez.

It's a beautiful thing hehehhe

of course it still has PMS of text field

Ah, finally this gets loosened up a bit. ;)

Hmm... Do you think we'll have to explain, some day, how 'Navigator' went from 1.0N, 2.02, 3.04 Gold right down to 0.2.8? :)

Well, I really don't feel like argueing anymore. All I have to say is that its a 0.2.8 release so you really shouldn't expect it to work perfectly.

simX, I think they are wanting bugs to be reported on bugzilla on mozilla.org right now, I'll check it out.

You need an account to report a bug on bugzilla so if you don't want to apply for one then I could file a bug for you. I'll post an update when I find out.

You know it might not be a coincidence that they are calling it navigator now. (whoops did I say that:p )

Please do. You might want to include my specs (see sig), since it seems that not everybody is having this problem. I would love for it to get fixed, because I just might be able to toss out IE as my backup web browser.

I am glad everyone has calmed down a bit but about what everyone was saying before, this is an alpha release it is no done yet the developers are being nice and letting you play around with it before it is finished. I wouldn't want soemone that is using Jaguar to come and start yelling and calling Apple a bad company becuase Jaguar can't run Toast because it is an alpha.

Originally posted by ablack6596
I am glad everyone has calmed down a bit but about what everyone was saying before, this is an alpha release it is no done yet the developers are being nice and letting you play around with it before it is finished. I wouldn't want soemone that is using Jaguar to come and start yelling and calling Apple a bad company becuase Jaguar can't run Toast because it is an alpha.

What I'm trying to point out is it's not like running Toast. The equivalent would be Apple releasing a Jaguar alpha release without the ability to use menus. I believe that every developer would be crying out if that happened.

In the "About Navigator" window, special thanks is given to Apple Computer Software Engineering? I wonder if Apple helped out with Chimera...

Yes, Apple bought NeXT and those new Apple system engineers brought Cocoa to the world of developers.

Its only released because it is open source. So if you don't want to use an alpha release with limited functionality, don't.

Damn, it wont let me cc you because you don't have an account. Thats too bad. I guess they don't want tons and tons of people to be CCed if they aren't members. I dunno.

Sorry about that. I'll just post updates if you want. Or you can just check out the page periodically.

gets sweeter and sweeter! :thumbsup:

i downloaded it right away when i got home today and so far i am very pleased (as usual).

Back